Chapter Fifteen

Lucy the loser.

I looked at her up and down save from the mascara smearing her face, she's lovely. White skin. Black hair. Black eyes with hazel contacts. A slim body.

"Before... I was one of the school's laughing stock. I had no friends. I wore my glasses and carried lots of books. I wanted to change but I didn't know how. I was so skinny I would have been Olive Oyl."

She smiled bitterly as if being in the past again. I understood her helplessness.

"Then the day of the Gala of the Ton came... it was a come-out of a new Lucy. Days before that I've received a letter from Brix, asking me to be his prom date. Lord, you've no idea how I felt.."

I nodded as if I knew.

"Caroline approached me... I was shocked because she offered to.. to.. make a new Lucy out of me even if it was so unusual of her to do that. You see, it was my chance to be accepted. So I trusted her."

Damn. Like I trusted her, too.

"That night everything was all set. I was ready. Caroline... she never let me see myself in the mirror. Laina told me I was beautiful, hearing that from a Prom Queen? Golly..."

I almost knew what had transpired that night.

"I walked the red carpet... smiling, while everyone was laughing. I thought for a minute. Are they too happy to see me? Beautiful brand new Lucy? Then there was Brix, I was walking toward him. He looked astonished. I thought... hey, he was starstrucked because of me."

Silence descended. It was as if she couldn't go on with it. "What... happened?"

She smiled bitterly. "I said, Brix... I extended my hand. He was gaping at me... I was confused. Then and there someone shouted. Lucy the loser. I felt like running. Then they started laughing horribly..." Tears were falling down. Unstoppable now.

"I handed Brix the letter... it wasn't his. Then I saw Laina laughed at me. It was her penmanship. How stupid of me... Caroline gave me a mirror. I became the Gala of the Ton's clown."

Oh my God.

"So bloody idiot of me... to think I'm a valedictorian, a nerd!" She laughed bitterly. Horribly. I hugged Lucy while she was quivering from laughing while crying.

"And then..."

"Ssssh... it's over." I didn't want to hear anymore.

She struggled free from my embrace. "You need to hear this." I sighed. What's new with Laina and Caroline?

"Caroline deserved it." I winced as she said it vindictively. "I've gone to the states for about two months to seek out the best couturiers. Fashion designers. Make up artists."

"I'm sorry Marie Claire."

I stared at her questioningly. She was repeating it over and over.

"You don't have to.."

"You're the only friend I have. And I can't stand this any longer..."

"What do you mean?" I moved a few inches away from her. My heart was hammering. Something was remiss here that she's not telling me. Or about to tell me.

"That night... I saw Caroline and Laina led you to a hotel suite... with men."

I shivered coldly. I was frowning... searching for answers. What does Lucy know?

"What are you telling me?" I said in a soft but dangerous voice. She covered her mouth with a weak hand to keep from sobbing loudly.

"I knew what would happen knowing... them. But I only added, I was the one... who called Brix on the phone and informed him... your suite number later that morning."