XXXVI.

Beyoncé - The Next Evening

Staring lustfully at Jay with only light from our candle lit dinner placed a fuzzy feeling in my heart

Staring lustfully at Jay with only light from our candle lit dinner placed a fuzzy feeling in my heart. On this beautiful Friday evening, he proposed the idea of date night to help us decompress from the chaos around us. As a couple, we are approaching our first year — a milestone I never imagined would come. Often times I found myself in awe that we were surviving at the fast rate in which our relationship matured, but I don't think I would have asked for a better outcome. Despite our disagreements, we were both aware of the issues that could possibly lead to us separating, .. but who am I kidding? I refuse to leave this man. The happiness he's bought into my life is a blessing, and to see him clash so well with my heart and joy, Aaliyah, was enough to confirm that this was meant to be. Even though I wasn't the most level-headed, easy going girlfriend, he's proved to be patient with me from the beginning — regardless of our rocky start.

"What's got your mind racing?" His soothing voice broke my thoughts. Before responding, I took a nice swig of moscato and enjoyed the warm sensation as it flowed throughout my body.

"Just thinking about our progress, .. nothing out of the ordinary." I said with a slight shrug.

"Why? You aren't pleased with where we are?" He asked with his head slightly tilted to the left.

"I'm actually very pleased with where we are!" I said with light laughter. "You know how I feel about having you around .."

"It's been crazy, but I wouldn't trade this shit for anything else."

"Be honest with me; do you see a strong future for us?" I asked as my vulnerability shined through.

"Absolutely. I'm going to make you my wife someday, Beyoncé."

"Not solely off the fact that we have children, right?"

Jay had a fit of laughter; "While that plays a small role, I've been determined to marry you before the boys came."

I let out a small breath, "I just had to ask .., the last thing I want is for our marriage to be based off the wrong reasons."

"So you will marry me?" He said quietly with his eyebrows raised.

"I will, .. just not right now. Leaving a toxic marriage to jump right back into another matrimony may not be the best move; you deserve a wife who is emotionally available."

I made sure to follow my comment with silence as we stared into each other's eyes. There was no doubt in my mind that Jay wouldn't make the perfect husband, but I had to do my part and set the tone that getting married right away wouldn't do us any good. Although I wasn't sure when the urge to get married would come again, I knew spending the rest of my life with him would be a dream come true.

"All I can do is have patience; I'll wait as long as you want me to .." He replied before reaching over to kiss my lips. We didn't pull back right away, and with the mixture of true love and alcohol in my system, I was ready to take things up a notch in our bedroom. I was unsure of where this sudden burst of sexual energy came from since giving birth, so I made sure to stay protected and start myself back on birth control; our second child together would have to wait.