XIX.

Aaliyah

Being able to showcase a lovely smile perfectly correlated with my current state of mind

Being able to showcase a lovely smile perfectly correlated with my current state of mind. With all going on in the past months with school, parental separation, and my relationship with Rue, I felt weighed down by my anxiety and definitely struggled with how to process everything at once. But nowadays, the sun shined just a bit brighter in my life; my mom was a free woman and stuck to her word about bettering our bond. Plus, our new home was so pleasing to me and I could definitely see myself thriving in the new space.

"Did it come out right?" I asked my main squeeze.

"I hope so, you know I'm not that advanced in this new technology." My mom complained as she placed my phone back in my hand, causing me to made a hearty laugh and shake my head at her antics. Since the weather was so nice, we decided to go out and explore the city and even correlated our outfits to maintain the causal aesthetic. Her strappy heels sounded against the concrete and I followed behind her while still editing the photo.

"Let's go inside and get a table." She suggested as we approached the restaurant door. I heard her give the hostess a name then join me on the plush seating.

"When we go to the hospital today, can I drive? Pretty please!" I begged.

"Sure, it's not that far of a distance.." She replied with her mind focused on her phone; whoever had her attention was sure keeping a smile on her face.

I flipped my hair off my shoulders, "Great! I need all the practice I can get anyway." I added since obtaining this L was very important to me. "How did you meetup go?"

My mom lifted her head in a quick manner. "It was okay .." She replied with a sigh.

"Uh oh, trouble in paradise?"

She let out a light laugh, "Aaliyah, I've already told you too much!"

"Nooo mom, I want to know! I need to know how is responsible for making you smile like this." I spoke with honesty. The change in her mood from last month vs. today is amazing to witness.

"You'll find out soon, but just know we're good.. no need to worry."

"As long as he's no Idris.." I mumbled under my breath. My mom held her in gasp and looked at me with wide eyes while I shrugged my shoulders in a nonchalant manner. Even though he's attempting the "make amends", I still hated his ass. Soon after the host called her name and we were taken to our table; the menu presented with an array of items that I didn't know where to look first.

"I'll just start with a Red Wine Sangria, please." My mom said right away to the waiter.

"And for you?" He asked me.

"Just a Strawberry Lemonade will do." He wrote down the information then disappeared from the the table.

"When's the last time you talked to G-Mom?" I said to start conversation.