XXXVIII.

Beyoncé
One Year Later — December

Beyoncé One Year Later — December

"MmmaMa!"

"Awh you want mama?!" I coo'd before scooping Amias up into my arms. Loving kisses flowed naturally and I couldn't help but glance in awe at how much him and his brother have grown. After he reached for the pacifier that clung to his shirt, he laid his head on my chest and released a sigh as if my comfort was all he needed. Even though they woke up earlier than normal, I automatically felt a rush of emotions hit me at once since today was their first birthday; one whole year of juggling my new life with a solid family foundation I had never imagined. I had always envisioned my future to simply be me grinding for myself and Aaliyah, and while I was content with this plan, I did not foresee my life turning around for the better simply because a loving man named Jay waltzed into my world. Of course, our ups & downs were exhausting to overcome, but we kept trucking along and were now at a place of peace within our relationship.

After the whole drug ordeal, Jay ceased all contact with Idris and finally placed all operations under Nas's control. With the money he'd receive as a personal cut from the booming sales, he redistributed the income into the bistro, stocks, and the boy's trust fund we established just a few months ago. Moreover, he was currently in the works of opening another location in a different sector of the city to increase the wealth, and I was more than happy that he was taking advantage of these legal opportunities. So far, he seemed to be enjoying the fruits of his labor, but I always fear that this source of income won't be enough in the long run — no matter how much he'll make.

As I continued to pace the living room visualizing various scenarios of our future, I felt a small tug on my pajama pant; looking down, I spotted Aries with his arms out reaching for me. Since they loved to be up under me for most of their day, I didn't complain and simply took a seat on the couch so that they could both sit on my lap. I made sure to give Aries some loving as well all before his brother reached his tiny hand out to push him away.

"Now Amias, .. you know that's not okay." I scolded him, only to get puppy eyes in return. He buried his face deeper into my chest and continued to act innocent while Aries remained unbothered and kept his eyes glued to the re-run of Boss Baby.

As they grew, I always thought of Aries being the bossy twin, but around 6 months when they both settled into their own personalities, Amias began to show his small craving for dominance. Even though I wasn't sure how it'd be raising a son, getting double the trouble was a very eye opening experience, and I had dreams to raise them up to be strong men who weren't afraid to embrace their emotions.

To my left, I heard a sharp gasp and soon the sweet voice of Aaliyah fill the room.

"It's your birthday!!" She exclaimed before stealing Aries from my arms since Amias had found his way back to sleep. The two greeted each other with kisses and hugs before Aries took it upon himself to play around with her freshly washed hair.