Chapter 9: Tons of Stupid Decisions

Notes:

"The Servant of Two Masters" episode and what happened in the first 2 episodes of Season 4 were a big influence on how Arthur behaved in this chapter, so keep that in mind when reading it and don't hate me. If you wanted to slap Arthur afterwards for being so dump and believing someone who he barely knows over Merlin and Gwaine that is exactly what I wanted to portray here. It's quite unbelieving how after so many years Arthur still doesn't believe Merlin 100% in the stuff he says and does. Also thanks to everyone who has commented and left kudos, you are awesome!

Chapter 9: Tons of Stupid Decisions

Arthur stood in his tent; he stared at the closed flap and then turned his gaze to the other side of his tent. He moved to the small table and chair Merlin had placed in his tent and in one angry movement flipped them over. He was frustrated and tired. Rushing out of his tent, he went to look for Merlin.

Everyone was sleeping, scattered around the camp, and he moved through them calling out Merlin's name. He called out just loud enough for Merlin to hear, but trying to not wake anyone. Arthur didn't want any more distractions, he wanted to find his friend and explain himself. He wanted to tell Merlin that he wanted more than what he probably thought he did.

Arthur had really made a mess of things now. He had lost complete control and slept with Merlin. Even though Merlin had felt pleasure at the end and even gave him the impression that he was ok with it, was he only responding to some twisted duty he thought he had to do as his manservant? Arthur didn't want him to think that.

Merlin wasn't in camp; it was obvious as his failed to reply to Arthur's calls. Arthur made his way into the woods in hopes that if Merlin had run off to gather his composure he wouldn't have run off too far. It was very difficult to see in front of him and Arthur didn't like that he had left his sword in his tent.

A few ways off, Arthur could hear someone's voice. At first he had thought it might be Merlin, but the voice sounded very different. He cursed himself for letting Merlin walk out of the tent and slowed his pace trying to silence his approach.

XXX

"This will be perfect, don't you agree Merlin?" Evelyn sarcastically asked the unconscious Merlin as she moved the boulder to hide the opening. She had dragged him with little effort and pushed him under a hallow tree, thanking his thin figure. Evelyn got up and dusted her dress as she moved back. She had barely walked a few paces when she froze in her tracks, Evelyn heard someone call out to her.

"Show yourself." Arthur's commanding voice echoed in the darkness. "I am armed and won't hesitate to strike." The King called out as he stepped closer. She could see his form in the darkness in front of her. Evelyn cleared her throat as fear of being discovered ran through her.

"It is only I sire, Evelyn your servant..." Evelyn struggled to say as she moved the dirt below her feet, trying to hide the tracks the boulder had made when she had moved it.

"What are you doing out here?" Arthur questioned as he realized it was the female servants he had brought with him and not some bandit. He had hoped his bluff would scare off such bandit, but there was no Merlin or anyone doing him harm. He looked into the darkness trying to make out Evelyn's form.

"Are you out here alone? I thought I heard someone talking?" Arthur asked as his eyes moved past her, into the darkness behind her as if trying to catch another shadow that belonged to his friend. Seeing nothing but trees, he turned his gaze back to Evelyn.

"I had to go to the bathroom, sire." Evelyn quickly replied as she regained her confidence that the night would hide her evil deed. Arthur stepped aside to allow her to walk past him. She made her way back the rest of the way, a triumphant smile slowly creeping on her face.