Chapter 16: Diabolical Plans and Twisted Turns

Gwaine stood at the bottom of the stairs leading to Merlin's and Gaius' room. The knight had been hesitating whether to knock on the door when he had noticed Merlin heading towards him. Gwaine quickly crossed the small space between them and grabbed Merlin by the shoulders. "Have you seen Evelyn?" He asked as his voice echoed the worry and suspicion he had bared on his own all the way back to Camelot.

"No I haven't, why?" Merlin replied half curious on why Gwaine was looking for the one responsible for enchanting Arthur. He had planned to search her out once he had spoken with Gaius. Gwaine looked around as if expecting someone to be eavesdropping on them and then met his eyes.

"I caught her with Roderick and Ivor; they were talking about a plan. I am worried that they will try something on Arthur or you." Gwaine replied adding emphasizes on his last word as he let go of Merlin's shoulders and ran one hand through his long ruffled hair.

It didn't take Merlin long to understand the threat his friend was warning him about. He was soon out of sight running through the courtyard and towards Arthur's chambers. Gwaine was about to follow his friend when he was blocked by Ivor, his form hovered a few inches taller than the knight's.

Ivor leaned on one of the pillars with his arms crossed over his chest, a wicked smile on his face. "Where are you going in such a hurry?" He asked the obvious, playing the ignorance card. "How about we call it a truce and you join me for a game of poker?" Ivor offered he had to trick the knight into thinking he was no threat if he was to put his master's plan in motion. His orders were clear, get rid of the chivalrous knight.

"I am not interested." Gwaine growled as he pushed past Ivor and continued his original destination. Ivor stepped back in front of him. "Aw, come on! I thought you were a man who never said no to alcohol and a good game of poker." Ivor teased as he walked slightly backwards staying a few inches away from Gwaine. His attempts were ignored and soon he was left standing alone.

XXX

Merlin rushed through Arthur's chamber doors and skidded to a stop. The doors banged loudly behind him and the floor squeaked against his boots. His heart almost gave out as his eyes landed on the scene in front of him. Evelyn was sitting on the side of Arthur's bed leaning over him, her back to the door.

"Get away from him!" Merlin yelled as his eyes turned a golden hue and the small container in her hand started to glow red. Evelyn screamed out as she tossed it to the floor and rose to her feet clinging to her injured hand, the small container was shattered into various pieces. Merlin's heart gave way as he feared that he had been too late.

Evelyn threw herself onto Merlin out of desperation in an attempt to express her frustration at his interference. Her mind was filled with pure anger towards Merlin at having him once again ruin her plan that she cared not if Arthur woke up. They both fell to the floor and Evelyn quickly reached for the largest piece of the glass when she noticed it still contained some of the potion. She struggled to her feet and made her way back to Arthur.

Merlin yanked on her leg and managed to make her loose her balance. Evelyn twisted around in an attempt to regain her footing and tripped on Merlin landing on top of him. She lost her grip on the broken container and the potion spilled onto Merlin's face. A curse escaped her lips and she pushed herself up, unaware of where the potion had landed.

Evelyn made quick use of her advantage; grabbing a pitcher sitting on Arthur's table she swung it at Merlin as he started to get up, knocking him unconscious. She ran out of the room and down some corridors slamming into a guard doing his rounds. "I'm sorry I am still new in the castle and I got lost." Evelyn lied as she gasped for breath. The guard blushed and stepped aside. "It's quite alright my lady."