Chapter 7: Déjà Vu

Chapter 7: Déjà Vu

I opened my eyes to see the lush green leaves of a forest. I was laying against the base of a tree in a little clearing, so I got up and brushed my clothes off, looking around.

How did I get here? I thought. The last thing I remember is... I can't remember. Well isn't this nice.

"Hello?" I asked standing up and looking around. My body felt like I was floating. Like I could move freely for once. Like I hadn't moved in a long time. And I felt like I had done this before. Like Déjà vu.

I could feel someone, something, watching me. I looked around frantically searching for it but I couldn't see anything but green. "I know your there, just come out. Make this easy on yourself."

"How did you know I was here?" A male voice said from somewhere behind me. I spun around towards the voice.

"Who are you?" I asked him, sounding much more confident than I really was.

"You don't remember anything?"

"No? Now who are you." This time my voice sounded more nervous than I would have liked.

"If you scream this time I swear..." He trailed off, stepping out of the cover of the trees. His eyes were pure black, whites barely showing. I knew he wasn't human, so I screamed.

"Why this time?" He asked me even though I didn't know what he was talking about. His hand was clamped on my mouth, so I did the only sensible thing a girl would do when a strange guy had a hold of you, and bit him.

"Ow! What the heck was that for?" He yelled at me surprised. I stepped back and looked around for an escape route. Suddenly I heard a fair flapping sound. Not knowing what it was, I turned to the alien.

"Don't you dare touch me." I spat at him. He almost looked hurt for a second but quickly hid it. I heard it again, this time louder.

"Whatever your doing wont scare me." I told him. Not knowing how he was doing it was actually scaring me, but he didn't need to know that.

"What? I'm not doing anything." His voice was sincere.

"Then what was that?"

"What was what?" The flapping noise was loud now.

"That." I told him matter-of-factly.

"Ganter." He muttered putting a hand to his forehead. "He must have heard her scream."

"Ganter?" I was confused. Did he know something I didn't?

There was a soft 'thud' and I spun away from the boy to see who had joined the party. The creature was huge and scaly. It was grey and had huge wings. It's back and tail were spiked and the crown of its head had spikes too.

"A Darkling." The alien said bored. "His name means Beast in the Dead Language and no it's not my language but I do know it fluently."

"How?" I asked him. He practically read my mind.

"And no I can't read your mind."

"Then what are you doing? Your answering my questions before I can ask them."

"I will explain later. Savanah needs to look at you. See if anything went wrong."

"Something went wrong? Savanah? Where am I and who are you people?"

I gestured to Ganter and he cocked his head at me.

"Ganter, she can't remember you. But she can move again." The boy assured the beast.

"Have I met you before then?" I asked even more confused than I was a second ago.

"Savanah will explain." He told me. "And as for who I am, I'm a friend."

"A name?" I crossed my arms across my chest.

"Zenan." He said quietly. "It means trainer in the Dead Language which is you know, dead."

"Then how do you know it?"

"Just come one." He grabbed my arm and began pulling me away.

"Please don't touch me. I don't know you people!" I yelled pulling my arm out of his grasp. I saw the hurt in his eyes again but this time he didn't attempt to hide it.

"I-I'm sorry." I told him.

"Whatever. Just come on if you want to survive." He replied icily.