Chapter 24: The Ceremony of the Banished

"Okay, there ya go. Do you think you can walk?" Savanah asked me as Zenan helped me stand and support me.

"I don't know." I told her. My ribs were already aching and all I did was stand up. And I had help with it too.

"Zenan, don't let her fall as she tries to. Okay?" He nodded as I took a step. My ribs were on fire but I could

walk okay.

"It hurts." I said wincing and Zenan helped me sit back down.

"You don't have to go. If he's okay I will be able to bring him here since I am his only living relative." Zenan told me with concern in his eyes.

I turned to Savanah. "If I don't move much after today, to you think my ribs would be okay?"

"They should be. And if you go today, Zenan has to support you the whole time since you haven't been up for a few days. Just in case." Zenan nodded at Savanah's request. "And you should try and stay away from large crowds where you could get shoved."

"Of course." I said.

"Well, I think you should be able to go. But if you hurt too much, come back immediately. Or sit down somewhere until someone can get you."

"Okay." I said. We already went through the schedule for today and what to stay away from.

"Come on. I'll carry you until we get there so you can walk there." Zenan told me picking me up bridal style. I could feel my cheeks flush from all of the extra attention I was getting from him.

When we got to Ganter, he sat me down oh his back then climbed on himself. Then Ganter started flying towards the Imperial City which the closest to the Dead Forest and where they held all of the ceremony's related to it at.

.-.-.

"Wow." I said as we got in sight of the city. We landed outside of the city gate and got off of Ganter. He nodded then flew off again.

"It's beautiful isn't it." Zenan said wrapping a hand around my waist to support me as we walked.

"Give me your names and the reason your going in." A Guard said at the entrance.

"I'm Zenan Cayne and I'm here to see the Returning Ceremony."

The guard nodded then looked at me. I didn't know what to say but Zenan answered for me. "This is Madlynn Sawyer and she's coming with me."

"You may pass." The guard said opening the gait.

"That was almost too easy." I said when we got out of earshot of the guard.

Zenan laughed. "He knows my name so he let you through. All of the Guards know the Banished's and their relative's names."

"Oh." I said.

"Before the incident, I was always asked for identification but since Lucas is a Banished, he knows me."

"Seems like a lot to memorize."

"Not very many people do enough to get Banished. Lucas only was sent there since there was magic involved."

"When does the ceremony start?" I asked looking around and not seeing many people.

"It should start pretty soon. We should head there now."

"Okay."

When we got there, a large crowd hummed, as it stood around the gait leading to the Dead Forest.

"All of the Banished were collected form the Dead Forest yesterday, like normal, and we have our results." A voice boomed through the city and the crowd fell silent.

"That's the King of Perenthia." Zenan whispered as a Guard gave him a scroll with the results on them.

"Naomi Bentley was pronounced dead; Dramious Thasher was pronounced Infected; Thaddeous Gerange was pronounced dead; Marley Commer is in quarantine; Lucas Cayne is in quarantine, and Layney Monroe was pronounced Infected." The King pronounced and Zenan let out a relieved breath.

"Any relatives who want to bury their dead must go to the East Gate to make the arrangements and collect the bodies, and any relatives who want to see the quarantined must go to the Holding Chambers of the Jail." The King pointed in the direction the places were as he talked. "Thank you for coming to this years Ceremony of the Banished."

I up looked at Zenan. "Shall we go see Lucas?" I asked

"Come on." He said pulling me closer to him than before as we started toward the Jail. Now we just have to see if he's Infected or not.