Lava (Cole and Kai - Ninjago)

————Kai's POV————

Cole and I are training together. We're fighting with fist-to-fist combat, and I'm losing. He backs me up into a wall, and pins me against the bricks.

"I guess that means I win again," he smirks.

I roll my eyes. "You don't need to rub it in."

Cole lets me go, and heads for the door to the monastery. "I'm gonna grab some water. Care to join?"

"Sure," I say, walking over to him. He holds the door open for me—such a gentleman.

Once we're in the kitchen, he pours me a glass of water, then grabs his own. We take our drinks back outside, and sit down on the steps. We then start chatting about the most random things.

"How are things with Skylor?" Cole asks after a while. "I haven't seen her around here much."

I look at the ground. "She broke up with me about a month ago."

"What? Why?" he asks, genuinely confused. "I mean, don't answer if you don't want to. I just don't understand why anyone would dump you."

I shrug. "We're not a great match. At least not anymore."

We're both quiet for a moment, until I break the silence.

"So, have you met anyone recently?"

Cole spits out his water.

"I'll take it that's a no," I laugh. "When was the last time you went on a date?"

"Uh... I don't think I've ever gone on one."

"Seriously?" I ask, my eyes going wide. "You've never been on a date?"

He shakes his head.

"Wow, I'm surprised. Have you at least liked a girl since Nya?"

"For the record, I never actually liked Nya. Not like that. And.. no. Haven't liked any girls."

"Really? What about Vania?"

"She was just a friend."

I lean back onto the step behind me. "That's kinda sad, actually. You haven't liked anyone in 6 years?"

"I didn't say that. I said I haven't liked any girls."

It takes a moment or two before those words settle in.

"Ohhhhhh..." I say. "So you've had feelings for someone, at least?"

"Yeah, I've had a few crushes. Well, actually, that's a lie—I've only had one."

"Ooh, who is it?"

"I'm not telling you!"

"Aww, why not? I won't tell!"

————Cole's POV————

I fold my arms, determined not to say anything. "I shouldn't even have told you that."

"Relax, bud," Kai laughs. "There's no judgement here. Truthfully, I know how you feel."

"You... what?"

"The reason Skylor dumped me was, well, cuz I don't just like girls at all."

My eyes widen, and Kai blushes.

"Don't tell the others I said that."

"Not a word, as long as you keep my secret, too," I promise.

"Deal."

"Secret? What secret?" Lloyd asks, poking his head out the window.

"Nothing!" Kai and I exclaim in unison.

"I sensed tension and came as fast as I could!" Jay says, bursting out through the door. "What's going on?"

"Cole and Kai are keeping secrets," Lloyd explains.

"What?! How could you guys? We're a team! We don't hide things from each other!"

"What's happening?" Zane asks through a different window.

"It's nothing, go back to whatever it was you're doing," Kai says. "Cole and I were just having a nice, private conversation."

All three of our teammates look at each other with a hopeful expression.

"Why are you guys acting so weird?" I ask.

"Do you think they confessed yet?!" Jay whispers to Zane.

"We can hear you, ya know," I say.

Once the three of them notice we're staring at them, they disappear back into the monastery. Kai and I look at each other, then laugh.

"They definitely share one brain cell between the three of them," I say.

"Yeah..." Kai agrees. "But what did they mean by confess?"

I feel my face heat up. I frantically think of a way to change the topic.

"Uh... I dunno..." is all I can manage to get out. "W-what do you think they meant?"

Kai blushes, then scratches the back of his head. "Uhhhhhhhh... nothing."

"Why do you look so flustered?" I smirk. Seeing the ninja of fire suddenly lose his confidence was amusing. 

"Well, I guess because I, um... I kinda like you, Cole."

I roll my eyes. "We've been on the same team for years. I'd be concerned if you didn't."

"No, not like that... I like you as... more than just a teammate."

My eyes widen. "What?"

Kai folds his arms in front of his chest and turns away, embarrassed. "You heard me."

I smile softly, then I reach for his hand. He looks surprised to see my fingers over top of his, and even more shocked when he sees my expression.

"I like you, too."