Chapter Eight: An Entanglement, Aria's Narrative

It's been a week since my meeting with Grace, and I've accepted her offer by signing a contract. The contract specifies that I'll receive a monthly wage for five hours of daily service. This entails attending conventions, organizing seminars, facilitating youth participation in training programs, visiting selected foster care facilities monthly, and submitting weekly reports.

Yeah, I know it's a shit of work and I can't seem to shake off the feeling that the entanglement I've found myself in by accepting Grace's offer to be her official youth envoy could singlehandedly lead to my ruin, but it feels surreal. After carefully considering the advantages and disadvantages of this position, the benefits outweighed the drawbacks. Working with Grace could be anyone's dream, and despite my mixed feelings towards her, I can't deny that the offer she made gives a much-needed kick start to my career. How bad could it be right?

Two days later....

Tomorrow marks the beginning of a new chapter as all twelve of us embark on our college journey. The anticipation of attending college has been a lifelong dream of mine, but now that it's becoming a reality, I find myself feeling a mix of excitement and apprehension about what lies ahead. Caleb, Chloe, and I have decided to attend Arizona State University, while Brayson, David, Liam, Holly, Sky, Art, Bentley, Crystal, and Robert have chosen Houston Baptist University and Northern Arizona University, respectively.

I have not mentioned my stay at the mansion as mother's envoy to any of my sibling's despite being awarded the chance to converse with them for the first time in ten years since Grace took as in, at a small brunch organized for us under Lisa's grim watch last week.

Turns out, Chloe loves writing just like me-she's all about English lit. Then there's Holly and Sky, who are obsessed with classic books, especially those by the Brontë sisters. They're like two peas in a pod, especially with their shared love for fashion.

Now, onto the tech whizzes-Robert, Brayson, David, and Liam. These guys are all about robots and gadgets. And then there's the quieter bunch-Tamar, Bentley, and Crystal. Crystal wants to teach psychology, while Art is trading his guitar for engineering.

And then there's Caleb. Yeah, we've had our ups and downs, but since we're all headed to ASU together, I'll put on a friendly face. After all, college is all about new beginnings, right?

The Next Morning

The morning of departure arrives at a cruel 5:30 a.m., adding an extra layer of dread to this already nerve-wracking day. Five RVs pull up, ready to whisk us away to the next chapter of our lives. We hurriedly pack our bags before Mother calls us to the dining area for our final family breakfast.

"Children," she begins, her voice tinged with emotion, "sending you off to college fills me with pride and sadness. I'd keep you under my wing forever if I could, but life beckons, and college awaits." There's something different about Mother today. No diamond ring, and her hair is free from its usual ponytail prison. But her all-black outfit remains, with a tiny brooch bearing her initials pinned to her jacket.

Then, the bombshell drops. "One of you will stay here as my Youth Envoy. Aria, step forward." All eyes turn to me, and if embarrassment could vaporize me on the spot, I'd be gone in a puff of smoke.

"Aria has graciously agreed to split her time between the mansion and the foundation," Mother announces with a rare smile. It's the second time I've seen it, and I feel a swell of pride knowing I earned it.

As congratulations flood the room, Caleb remains silent. Grace wraps up her speech, reminding us of monthly gatherings and vaccines. Lisa adds a note about finances, and suddenly, it hits me-I'm choking on gratitude. Despite the Mayor awarding all twelve of us with scholarships, Grace is handling all the other expenses

"Good luck," Grace pronounces, and I can't find the words to express my gratitude.

"Good luck," Lisa echoes, and as we offer our thanks.

I know this isn't just the end of one chapter-it's the beginning of an uncertain, yet hopeful, new adventure.