Chapter Fourteen: Patterns, Aria's Narrative

As Caleb and I step out into the chilly night air, we're reeling from the revelations we've just unearthed about Grace's past. It's like a bombshell has been dropped on our perceptions of her, shattering the carefully constructed image we've held since the day we met her.

Suddenly, pieces of the puzzle start clicking into place: her unwavering drive, her relentless ambition, even her seemingly impenetrable facade of arrogance. It's all starting to make sense now. But little do we realize, we've only scratched the surface of the elaborate web of deception that Grace has spun around herself.

As we walk through the quiet streets, a sense of unease settles over us. We've unwittingly stumbled upon the genesis of Grace's grand scheme, and the implications are staggering. Who is the woman we thought we knew? And what other secrets lie buried beneath the surface of her carefully curated facade?

"Thanks for walking me to my room" I whisper. The mist of my warm breath vaporing at the contrast of our frosty surrounding.

"I didn't really have a choice" Caleb spills. Seemingly as cold as me-crinkling his wrists in the side pockets of his leather jacket. Wrong choice of jacket for this weather.

"Hmm no, you didn't have to. I could have made it passed those rebels by myself thank you " I state. Gliding my key against the sensor, to volt open the door to my room.

" I think a simple -thank you- would suffice, just by their stares I could tell they were ready to jump you" The grim of his demeanor making my insides squirm deliciously.

"I'm a strong woman Caleb, " I smile.

"Okay, " he smirks... Playfully holding up his hands in concession and I chuckle

"You need to get going-it's practically two minutes to curfew, miss Gonzalez is going to throw a fit if you aren't in your room" I stall

Please stay* my insides squirm, sparking a tumultuous clash within me. Morality tugs at one side, urging caution and restraint, while desire pulls at the other, tempting me with the allure of companionship I've grown unexpectedly fond of. In this moment, I realize I may have indulged in my adopted brother's company more than I should have today.

"I'll be on my way" he nods. Keeping his grey-eyed gaze fixated on mine for seconds that feel more like minutes in trance.

"Sure" I mumble and he turns to begin walking away

Don't go! I squirm internally

I quickly lock the door to avoid relinquishing my stability at the threat of my obnoxious thoughts before plopping myself onto the fibrous mesh that is my cushioning mattress.

Describing this hotel room as luxurious would be an understatement-heck, the entire hotel exudes opulence. The university and its alumni pulled out all the stops for this trip. My room alone boasts both a lavish shower pad and a bathtub, both plated in gold. The bed is easily twice the size of mine back home, adorned with pristine white bedding, and the floors are entirely marble.

I opt for a shower-a daily ritual that's become more like a therapy session ever since Chloe's passing. There's something oddly soothing about the scalding hot water cascading from the roots of my hair to the tips of my toes, as if it's washing away the chaos of the day. After indulging in two much-needed lengthy rinses, I slip into a floral vest and matching pajama shorts. With my nighttime skincare routine complete, I nestle into the comforting embrace of my silk bedding, ready to drift off into dreamland.

Seconds later, just as I begin to blink my eyes closed, I hear a loud thud outside my door.

I seat up straight as if the gesture were to help ease my delirium but the noises only get louder and louder until finally, a hasty knock sounds harshly against the hardwood of my door. I quickly stride to the door before glancing through the peephole when I spot a frantic Caleb.