Chapter Nine: The Diagnosis, Aria's Narrative

It's been two months since we all left for college and as outlined, I have continued to balance my time between being Grace's Envoy and a freshman in college, which so far has been a bit of a challenge. Law school, in its starting, is nothing like my favorite episode of How to Get Away with Murder but its everything I ever imagined it would be, if not more.

I have since made two friends who don't seem to be fond of me just yet because they are still taken aback that I am the adopted daughter of one of the most controversial yet prominent entities in Phoenix. I must admit, carrying around Grace's hefty title every single day is tiring. Even the lecturers seem to be intimidated. Sadly, I understand how they could be. Grace is known for being ruthlessly intransigent.

"So how was class?" I cherry as soon as Chloe and I let go of our embrace, gaining a few judgmental stares from the blonde-led possy that sits by the edge of the water fountain where we stand.

"Humm good" she replies. Bluntly. Chloe is really the only person I talk to besides Caleb. They both understand how it feels to be treated like an alien around here. Today, she seems more troubled than usual.

"Are you sure?" I say stepping in front of her to stop her in her tracks.

"Yeah, Yeah I just had a bad lecture that's all" she deflects forcing a smile and I let go of my plea. There's definitely something wrong from the looks of things, and she isn't ready to tell me. I won't force her to either.

"Ow did someone mess up her enactment of the mighty Fitzwilliam Darcy" I joke as we approach our dorm room, hoping to lighten her temperament, and my efforts aren't in vain because she smiles.

"No! That's impossible. If someone were to wake me up to a question on any part of that franchise, I'd answer them word for word and you know it!" she gushes.

"There's my corny little hopeless romantic," I chuckle and we both laugh. Grace demanded that Chloe and I stay in separate rooms on campus, but by the power of bribery and some serious persuasion, we got a room swap without her knowledge.

The next morning...

"See you in four days I guess" Chloe saddens

"Don't give me those puppy dog eyes, I'll see you every day, I just won't be spending the night"

"I know but four nights is a lot without my grade-A advisor by my side, who am I going to vent to about my crush on the English lit professor" she unintentionally confesses before covering her mouth and I laugh

"You little whore.. I knew that's the mystery man you've been telling me about this whole time!" I exclaim, swatting at her arm and she winces, pretending to be hurt by my playful assault

"Don't worry, we'll text all night" I reassure

"You know I still haven't gotten the hang of this phone thing after spending years living like a caveman with no form of communication," she says alluding to the fact that we are never allowed a cell phone whilst at the foundation.

"I know, I haven't either but we don't have any other option do we?" I utter and her eyes widen as she mummers in mischief " I don't know if I should or shouldn't be scared to know what is going on in that crazy mind of yours right now" I confess

"Um maybe you could sneak out some nights" She glistens and I laugh

"C'mon you know how tight security is at the mansion unless you want me to get gnaw on by Cornelius"

"Yeah let's not do that, he's about 200 pounds of pure muscle and I need you alive more than anything" She jokes whilst I bellow in laughter

"I don't mean to be judgmental, but doesn't he look like he's on steroids?" I laugh