Chapter 18

Elizabeth POV
There are three weeks before Christmas and I do not have a present for Jack. The problem is I don't know what to get him. I walk downstairs in panic to my mum and ramble on about my situation. "Honey, slow down", she says to me rubbing my arm. "What am I supposed to get him?", I ask her. "What do guys your age like?", she asks me.

"I don't know, I have never had to buy a gift for a guy before".

"Alright, let's go to the mall and look around. Maybe we will see something for Jack", my mum says and grabs her purse. I nod and follow her out the door. I could simply just ask Jack what he wants but that would ruin the element of surprise. The whole point of a present is to see how well the person who gives it to you knows you. It's our first Christmas together and I want the day and the gift to be memorable.

Mum and I have been searching for an hour through every store and we still haven't found the perfect gift for Jack. My mum leads me to a store that she said was popular when she was my age. "I got the best gift for your dad from this store when I was your age", she tells me. "What did you get him?", I ask. She points to a watch and smiles. "This is perfect. He has talked about getting a new watch", I say. My mum smiles and asks one of the employees in the store to show us the watch closely. The worker nods and opens the glass case to get the watch. I examine the watch carefully to be sure if it is the right one and it is. "We will buy this one", I tell the worker and he nods. The watch is silver in colour by the brand 'Longines' which is the same brand Jack has now. I don't know why I didn't think to buy him a new watch in the first place, his watch is shit as it is always behind the correct time and rusting slightly. The worker gives me the watch nicely wrapped in a box which has been placed in a small bag. I thank him and walk out of the store with my mum trailing behind.

At home, I place the gift on my desk and write a small card to go with it. Jack has brightened my life since I met him and I feel welcomed by my personality not my skills and I love being accepted that way. I text Jack to tell him I have finally bought his Christmas present.

E: ' I have finally bought your Christmas present. I am positive you'll love it'.

J: 'I have bought yours too. I really hope you love it'.

E: 'I will love anything you get me. How will we see each other on Christmas day? I have a family gathering that I cannot get out of'.

J: ' I do as well. How about we meet in the afternoon. Come to my house at 4 pm?'

E: 'I'll be there'.

J: 'I love you'.

E: 'I love you too'.

I cannot wait till Christmas. Spending time with my family is great but seeing my boyfriend on the best holiday of the year is even better. Jack invades my thoughts all afternoon and it makes me want to see him. I stand from my bed, grab my phone and walk downstairs. "I'm going to Jack's house. I won't be too long", I tell my parents and they nod in response. I walk across the road to Jack's house and knock on the door. His mum answers the door with a smile. "Liz, hello. I didn't know you and Jack were hanging out", she says. "We didn't but I thought I would come see him", I say to her. She nods and walks me inside the house. "Jack is in his room so you can go up to him", his mum says to me and I thank her, walking upstairs to Jack's room.

I knock on his door and wait for him to welcome me into his room. I hear footstep on the other side of the door coming closer to the door and my eyes lock with Jack's when he opens the door. "Hey babe", he says and kisses me. "Hi", I say and walk into his room. I close the bedroom door and sit on Jack's bed next to him. "What are you doing here?", he asks me as he leans on his pillows. He taps the spot next to him and I move up to lean next to him. "You invaded my thoughts and it made me want to see you", I tell Jack. He smiles and wraps his arm around me. I lean my head on his chest and cuddle close to him. "I'm going to admit that I did not know what to get you for your Christmas gift", I say to Jack and he chuckles. "I had to think about it but I thought of the perfect gift for you", he says. "It took me all day to figure out what to get you. I wanted to be as good as what you got me", I say as I lean closer into his chest. "Just spending time with you is the best Christmas gift", he says with a smile and I chuckle. "That's sweet", I say as I pat his chest. Jack takes my hand and kisses it gently.

"I can't wait till Christmas", Jack says excitedly. "For the presents?", I ask and he shakes his head in response. "No. I can't wait because I'll give you your gift and get to see your reaction. Spending time with you is the best Christmas gift", he says which makes me blush. "I love you", I say as I close my eyes and drift off. "I love you too, baby", he whispers in my ear which causes shivers down my spine. Jack wraps his arms around me and pulls me close, like he is a blanket keeping me warm from the coldness. He kisses my forehead sweetly, the gesture is the secret to having good dreams.