Chapter Twenty Five: War Drums

Kuraihi Compound, Japan.

Two weeks ago.

A young woman in her early twenties or so sat in the center of the room, meditating under the light of the single candle flame.

Suddenly the flame flickered under the still air in the room.

There was no change in the young woman's expression, nor did she even open her eye to acknowledge the newcomer's presence as she spoke. "If you are here to kill me, I suggest you do so now. Otherwise, state your business before I decide to get up and disarm you myself and I can guarantee that it will be very painful."

A movement in the shadows, then a slight figure in black detached itself from the trees and approached slowly, hands spread in a gesture that signaled peaceful intent before getting down on one knee before the young woman. "Black Mistress, I mean no harm."

Kara Kuraihi opened her eyes and raised an eyebrow at the Dark Flame Elite Guard kneeling before her. "You are one of those under my younger brother." It was a statement and not a question. "Aren't you a long way from your post, Elite?"

Still bowing his head, the Elite Guard took out a white envelope from his uniform and offered it to Kara with both hands. "I bring a letter from the Blue Master. He feared that it would be intercepted if it was sent through the usual courier."

There was a moment of uneasy silence, and the Elite Guard tried hard not fidget as the woman's cold merciless green eyes bored into him.

Finally, Kara took and tore open the envelope. Her dark green eyes narrowed into slits as she silently read the contents of the letter.

Sister,

If you are reading this, then my subordinate was able to reach you with no problems....

Kara Kuraihi, Black Mistress of the Dark Flame Clan, and head of the Kuraihi Clan in Japan, raised her head and faced the Elite Guard.

"Summon my ninjas," She coldly stated. "I will be leaving Japan as soon as possible."

***

The present. Central City.

Sirens filled the air as fire fighters and the police struggled to contain the fire engulfing the abandoned warehouse, while the new crews reported this incident as another one in the growing list of casualties resulting from the so-called 'increasing gang violence' plaguing the city these past few days.

A few blocks away from the commotion, a lone figure sat hidden in the shadows.

***

Sister,

If you are reading this, then my subordinate was able to reach you with no problems....

***    

Leopard hissed as he cleaned up the bullet graze on his left leg. Damn mobster got lucky, he thought grimly as he wrapped a bandage around it, remembering the surprised look in the man's face when his hands holding the AK was cut off, just before Quicksilver sliced his head off.

Hopefully he was able to prevent the deal from coming on. It was bad enough with the other organized crime lords and Hank's Red Basilisks running amok in Central City without figuring renegade Dark Flame ninja into the mix.

***

...I am aware that I'm probably going against proper protocol. But I need your help.

***