Payback

Christian sat in his office. He was irritable today, completely on edge. He couldn't escape this nagging feeling that he was about to be Edwards pawn. The feeling that any moment he could leak out his private lifestyle made him edgy.

Christians intercom beeped causing him to jump slightly and pulled him out of his thoughts. He clicked the talk button, "Yes, Katherine what is it?" He asked his secretary in an annoyed tone.

"Sir, I have an Edward Patterson on line two for you."

Christians heart dropped and he suddenly felt nervous. Fuck this guy. He wasn't one to get scared of anyone, especially some cocksucker like Edward Patterson. Clearing his throat and sitting up straighter he nodded, as if Katherine could see him. "Yes, thank you. I'll connect it from in here." Then he switched over to line two and prepared himself. "You better have a good reason for calling me."

Edward let out a relaxed laugh, "And hello to you too Christian."

Christian glared at the phone, his hands clutched the arm rests of his chair tightly.

"I thought I'd ring you up and give you a final chance of redemption before dragging your name through the mud and ruining you completely." His words still held a casual tone as if they were only discussing the weather.

Christian sat back in his chair, willing his voice to sound calm, "What is it you want Patterson?" Surprisingly he managed to get the words out without sounding terribly threatening.

"What else? Money of course." Christian could detect a smile in his voice and pictured him smirking menacingly on the other end of the receiver.

He let out a sigh as he ran his hand through his hair frustrated, "How much?"

"I'm feeling generous. Lets say two million."

That wasn't too bad. But Edward could be trying to test him. Maybe he'd ask for more later on.

"When do you want it by?"

"You got by tomorrow afternoon. I'll sell the video footage of you going psycho on my property to the first paper I can get. It wont be too hard. A billionaire playboy with a angry Hulk side. And when they find out that he also enjoys hurting woman for pleasure? Well," he paused to chuckled darkly and Christians jaw clenched, "that'll just be the cherry on top."

"Whats keeping me from exposing you and your lifestyle?" I spat back at him.

"Nothing. But I don't have as much to lose, Grey. My business is already sinking and my family thinks ill of me as is. You have way more to lose my friend."

Christian stood, unable to stay sitting still. He rubbed his face with his hand irritably, "Where do you want the drop off to be?"

"I'll call tomorrow. Be waiting." Then he simply hung up.

It wasn't like two million was terribly too much for Christian to part with, but the thought of handing it over to that sleaze bag because he was threatening him, made him fume inside.

He knew he wouldn't be able to focus on anything else today so he left early, calling Taylor to come collect him. On the way home he told him about the call and watched as Taylors reaction behind the wheel of the car was almost the same as Christians had been.

Once they got home, they both had worked out that instead of chancing it they'd obviously hand the money over to Edward. Christian hated that but told himself he had no other choice.

Stepping off the elevator his nostrils were enveloped with a smokey aroma that made his mouth instantly water in anticipation. A good hot meal was just what he needed right now. Setting his briefcase on the table in the foyer, he made his way to the kitchen, dismissing Taylor for the time being.