The Next Step

My knuckles throbbed, already purpling and swelling, but a grin still plastered itself to my face. I reached up, smoothing down my hair, unfurling my sleeves and rolling them back down my pulsating arms. Feliks lay on the ground before me, clutching at his nose, furious eyes scathing up at me. I leveled him with a warning look.

"I run a professional business. The last thing I need is a civilian suing us over sexual harassment, you fucking dumbass," I hissed, feeling a protectiveness over Hannah rolling through me. She was young, had no clue what she was getting herself involved in by working here—and I'd keep it that way. If we slipped up, it could mean the end of the extension of our empire here in the states.

He wadded his crimson blood, spitting it to the cold, wet asphalt in the alley behind my new club. A vision of Aria entered my mind, and my rage swelled again. I crouched in front of him, feeling Liam shift behind me, his frayed nerves tangible. He knew when all I could see was red. And nothing could ever deter me when I reached that point.

"If you ever lay a finger on Aria, I will kill you, brother or not."

A flicker of fear flashed in his gaze, and he set his jaw, giving a sharp nod. I didn't believe him, or trust him, but in this moment he meant what he was saying. With Feliks, that could change in the span of a few minutes or a few shots too many. Nothing would ever excuse his actions if he hurt her, though.

Inhaling sharply, I stood, checking my watch. Well past midnight. His mess had taken hours to fix, and even though the throb of my hand and the sight of his blood quelled a bit of my rage, it wasn't enough. I glanced at Liam.

"Take me home," I hissed. There was one thing I wanted more than anything right now, and it would be mine.

My penthouse was quiet when I arrived home, but as I stalked to my room, the door was cracked and light seeped into the hall. I pressed ahead, expecting to see her watching TV or sleeping, but the bed was still made. My heart clenched as my eyes wandered to my bathroom, the sounds of the shower greeting my ears. I smirked, pulling my shirt over my head, wondering exactly how much trouble I was about to get into.

Her back was too me in the shower, the floor to ceiling glass giving me an unobstructed view of her tight, pale body, the billowing steam clinging to the walls. Her long, wine-hued tendrils dripped down her back as I continued forward in the pursuit of my greatest desire. Reaching for my buckle, then zipper, I gave shove to my jeans and compression shorts, kicking them aside.

She turned at the clink of metal upon the tiled floor, jumping a bit, eyes widening to saucers as she backed up, her shoulders hitting the wall of the shower. My smirk deepened. I pressed the door open, never once slowing my approach as her cheeks flamed and she attempted to muster a glare, fighting to keep her eyes from trailing down. I stepped under the cascade of burning water, reaching for her.

She swatted my hand away, mouth twisting in fury as she tried to cover her perky little breasts. I quirked my brow.

"I've had a shitty night, pipsqueak. Let me shower with you?" I teased. She crossed her arms, her bluish eyes now tight with apprehension. A testament to my character, I never once let my eyes stray from her face. I reached for her, my heart calming, gently brushing my thumb over her bruised face. Her eyes stayed on mine, but she made no move to run this time.

"I'm not going to hurt you," I said, lowering my voice. Her brows furrowed, but after a moment, she nodded. I reached for her hips, gripping them and lifting her. I was sure if she could truly gasp she would have, automatically wrapping her legs around my torso as I pressed her into the wall, our chests together, faces centimeters apart. I cupped her cheek, pushing my fingers into her heavy, wet hair. She was so damn light, holding her with one arm was nothing to me.