Porter

The patter of Aria's little feel hushed our tight, vehement words cloaked in our mother tongue. Niko wiped at his face, attempting to hide his emotions. Serg leaned back, crossing his arms as he sat next to Niko on the barstool. I stood at the stove, flipping sizzling pieces of bacon. I took a steadying breath before letting my eyes fall to her.

She was showered and dressed, spritely and beautiful, and all my worries vanished in her presence. There was nothing else that mattered to me now—nothing that could come between us. Father had left in a rage at the mention of Violet, but I knew this conversation was far from over. The best Niko had done was buy us some time. Meanwhile, I'd cursed him and nearly choked him out for hiding such information from me, but in the end I couldn't be angry with him for long—he'd saved our asses yet again.

I tossed her worried form a smirk, holding my arm open as I clicked off the stove. She warmed with a smile, twisting her hands together as she allowed me to hug her. I pressed a kiss to her hair, scenting her coconut smell. She looked more herself in leggings and a long sleeve, clean hair curled but pulled back into a ponytail, her face free of make up. Just how I loved her. I felt myself harden as I stared down at my muse, catching her blush. I needed a shower and a vat of mouthwash.

"Hungry?" I rasped. Without breaking eye contact, she nodded. There was worry in her eyes about what she'd seen briefly and what she'd likely heard, but since that time in the car where I'd asked for her not to pester me for answers, she'd obeyed to a fault. I appreciated that side to her. It meant she trusted me to share things with her when I needed to.

"Of course she is. All I could hear last night was Maks groaning. What'd you do to her, asshole?" Serg teased. I flared, turning to glare at him and Niko as they snickered. Aria's grip on me tightened. Of course they would know.

"Thanks for your help in that department, Niko," I winked. He nodded, giving me a sly grin. Aria shifted, smacking a hand to her blushing face. We all chuckled. Apparently, there weren't that many secrets between us Volkov boys.

"Go sit," I prodded, handing her a plate with a bacon, egg and cheese English muffin—her favorite. We both detested breakfast unless it was later in the day. She grasped the plate, leaning up on her tip toes to give me a kiss. I smirked, yanking her hips to mine as I deepened it.

"Get a rooooom!" Serg groaned. I released her, smacking her round little ass as she skirted away, seating herself between my brothers. They'd already eaten. I clutched my coffee, smiling at her dwarfed figure between the two, happily eating her sandwich in her own little world. Niko's eyes found mine, dark, steely, his shoulders trembling. He was still pissed off about our father, still kind of pissed at me, but it was clear to see where his allegiance was.

His eyes swished to Aria. Mouthful of sandwich, she grinned at him and gave a little wave. He chuckled, moving to stand, hand sliding across her shoulder as he pecked her cheek.

"Just for the record," he said, eyes locked on her shocked form. "We love you, too, Ar."

And with that, he disappeared upstairs.

"Can I open them yet?" I groaned. We were going to be late for dinner. Nick, Ellie, and Jonah had come by for cocktails, then ambushed me by saying they had a gift to give me still. My spine prickled. I hated gifts.

I was greeted by Nick's deep chuckle, feeling Aria's slender fingers wrapping about my wrist—trembling. Why was she nervous? I honestly had no clue as to what it could be; she'd already outdone herself by getting Nick here. By sleeping with me, though I tried not to count that as a birthday gift, for it meant so much more than she would ever know.

And then, I felt it. A squirming, wriggling mass plopped into my lap, warm and soft and furry. Oh fuck no.

My eyes sprang open, its tongue lapping at my knuckles. Shocked, I couldn't move for a moment, before the realization set in. I glared down at Aria, whose nervousness now made sense. She bit her lip, shrugging a bit and turning redder by the second. I scoffed, shaking my head, glancing anew at the German shepherd pup in my lap.