Grand Opening

Although the club wasn't open for another two hours, there was still a line wrapping around the block like a coiling snake as we pulled up. I smirked as the widened eyes of our patrons followed the sleek black Escalade. Feliks—doing his fucking job this time—was stationed as bouncer at the entrance, making eyes at the scantily clad, freezing women. I was thankful Aria had been smart enough to buy a shawl to go with her dress.

I gripped her hand, turning to grin down at her like a fool; keeping my eyes off her tonight would test my strength. Keeping my hands off her would be impossible. Waiting until we got home before I tore her from her gown sounded like a feat in and of itself. She smiled up at me, eyes sparkling in the lowlight of the car. Claire and Em were already inside, as were Serg and Niko. Liam would be overseeing the shipment. I'd only need to duck out for a few minutes after it arrived. Niko would be babysitting Aria and her friends at that point.

"Ready, pipsqueak?" I said as the car rolled to a stop in the alley behind the club. She nodded, squeezing my hand. I hopped out, turning to help her as she tilted and swayed in her heels, a pale calf peeking out between the slit in the shimmering fabric. I bit my cheek, groaning. She smoothed down her dress, flashing me those eyes and a more timid smile.

As sexy as she tried to be, she always reverted back to her true nature—something I adored about her. Would it be tonight that I'd claim her innocence? Part of me desired it with every fiber of my being, but another part of me wanted to keep her this way forever, scared of the unknown. Would she change? Would she grow bored of me?

I pushed the thoughts away. She would always be the Aria I knew—nothing yet in her life had altered her beyond repair. And I would ensure nothing ever would.

"Yeah, I'd fuck you right now. Why do you insist on torturing me on my birthday?" I teased. She gave a sarcastic shrug. I snorted, wrapping my arm about her waist as we made our way inside and out of the chilled October night. Classical music played, the scent of a fine dining experience circling us. Only my family, our allies, and a few select friends had been invited to the dinner portion. I allowed Aria to go before me, spotting Claire's long, sweeping hair by the bar, but my stomach clenched as they fell upon the giant of a man next to her.

"What the fuck?" I hissed, walking a bit faster. Why the hell was Fordson here? And then he turned a bit, and there was Ellie, wearing a golden, shimmering dress that hugged her every curve. Aria turned to glance up at me, sheepish, and it was then I knew this was her doing. I chuckled, nodding forward.

"Look closer to who Nick's talking to," I encouraged. She did, and her hand left mine in a flash as she tottered forward. I paused, allowing her and her best friend a moment to hug. Claire screeched, holding open her arms and bending her knees to be more on Aria's level, wearing a short black cocktail dress. I chuckled, sidling up to the bar, nodding to Nick.

"Should have known she'd pull a stunt like this," I said. He grinned down at me, but before he could say anything, I was blindsided, the wind knocked from me as Ellie wrapped her arms about my torso.

"Maks!" she crooned, a few drinks in. I rolled my eyes, chuckling as I hugged her back.

"Happy birthday! I've missed you guys!"

"Sure you have," I said, glancing at Nick. He leaned against the bar, about to open his mouth once more, but I was interrupted again as something metallic collided with the back of my knees, almost sending me tumbling.

"Ow, fuck," I hissed, whirling.

"Fucking hell, Jonah, I'm cutting you off. You can't drink and operate that thing!" Nick growled, throwing his hands up. Ellie snickered, releasing me as my eyes fell to Jonah in his tricked-out, Star Wars themed wheelchair.