Deep Cuts

I patted my sides, feeling for myself for the hundredth time that I had both Glocks in their holsters, before I patted my ankle down and felt the sheathed knife. Aria paced back and forth, wringing her hands, sniffling and sneezing still. I stalked to my closet, rifling around in a drawer and coming out with a black beanie. I gripped her arm mid-stride, pulling her to me and pushing the hat on her head. Her wide, scared eyes found mine.

"It's going to be ok, Aria," I assured her yet again. She shuddered before nodding, wiping at her tear stained cheeks. I gripped her hand.

"You gonna be warm enough?" I asked, frowning, for as ready as I was to murder someone, I was just as worried about her becoming even sicker. I wasn't all too sure my priorities were straight, but then again, I was in the mafia for a living.

She nodded, tugging on the vest I'd bought her.

"Ok, ok...let's go," I breathed, pulling her after me. If I could get her to Liam's, I'd be free to roam the streets with Niko and Serg to find this fucker—to watch with deep satisfaction as the light left his eyes. He'd never hurt her again. He'd never haunt her dreams, would never linger in her shadow. Would never be a part of us and this world we were creating together.

My brothers had left in haste, the entire space bathed in darkness as my eyes attempted to adjust. The hairs on the back of my neck stood on end, and I pulled Aria to a stop, a flash of light from a passing helicopter bathing his face in a grotesque red glow. Her fingers dug into my arm as I shoved her behind me. He stepped forward, off the wall near the elevator where he'd been lying in wait.

"Aria, toots, you look so good," he breathed, deranged, stepping more into the dim light. I gripped her, heart hammering, stepping back a pace. My mind sifted through options, knowing that no matter which I chose, it would end in a bloody mess. I couldn't shoot him and risk having someone hear and call the police. If this place was searched I'd be fucked—even with the shady Feds on our side most of the time.

I felt her shivering, and I did my best to use my body to block her from his sick view. The knowledge I was dealing with a man as unhinged as this one wasn't lost on me—I needed to be careful, needed to watch my temper and words, as difficult as it would be.

His eyes were puffy, red, purplish bags beneath, his hair a mess, his outfit faded and full of holes. And his gaze lingered on Aria alone. I was nothing to him but a hurdle from what he desired most. He stepped forward.

"Go call Niko and lock yourself in our room, Aria," I said, keeping my voice even and low. Her fingers clung to me, but I pushed her back.

"Don't tell her what to do!" Brad roared, quaking in rage, spittle flying from his chapped lips. I felt Aria jump, felt her claw into me even harder as her breathing turned ragged. I kept my mind steady as was possible. He stepped forward again, the glint of a long, jagged knife grasped in his hand. Fuck. I shivered at the sight—I'd rather get shot than stabbed or sliced. And with that serrated edge...

"Aria, you belong with me, toots, I'm sorry about scaring you with those messages, I just needed—"

"Enough," I hissed, and his eyes snapped to my face, livid. He held the knife up, wagging it at me.

"You. I couldn't find anything on you. You're a ghost. He's dangerous, Aria, he'll kill you, he'll—"

"I said enough," I growled through clenched teeth. "I know what you did to her, and you will pay."

I pushed Aria back again, more forcefully this time, and he lunged, raising the knife high above his head. I ducked, pulling the one from my ankle out, diving for him and tackling him to the ground, arms tight around his pudgy midsection. We hit the ground with a loud thud as air whose from his lungs. I backed off, scrambling out of his reach as he slashed at me.