The bus ride

Y/n's POV: Jaeden and I put our hoods up as we make our way into the gas station. We don't get much just something to get us through the bus ride. We check out and leave. We didn't want to stay in there long because the longer we're there the more he'll remember us. Once we leave we start making our way to the bus stop. I'm feeling really nervous and I think Jaeden can read the tension on my face. "Hey, this is gonna be really good for us. We'll be 18 in a few years and after we can do whatever we want. Look on the bright side ok" he tells me. "Three years. We'll be 18 in THREE YEARS I'm just worried that we'll be caught within the next few years." I say. "The worse thing that could happen is we go back home" he says. "Yeah, we go back home and our parents stop us from seeing and talking to each other" I tell him. He stops and looks at me and hold both of my hands. "Look, I know it seems scary right now but we will get through this together, I promise" he assures me. I look at him for a bit and I know that I trust him. I trust him more than I've ever trusted anyone ever. I need him right now and I know he needs me to. "Ok. I trust you." I tell him. He smiles and we keep walking.

We finally get to the bus station and we go to buy our bus tickets. "Hi um when's the next bus to Monroe Michigan?" I asked the lady at the booth. "2 am" the lady tells me and Jaeden. "Ok can we have two bus tickets for that time?" I ask. "Can I see some identification?" She ask. Shit. I didn't think about that. Before I can even give a look to Jaeden he says "yeah one sec". He goes into his wallet and pulls out a card and gives it to her. She looks at it then at us. She gives back the card. "Ok that'll be $18.00". We pay and she gives us our tickets and we go inside to wait. "How do you have an ID?" I ask Jaeden. "I don't. It's my dads" he says. "Won't he find that suspicious when he goes into his wallet and his money and ID I'd gone?" I ask him. "He can't notice those two things missing if his wallet isn't there to begin with." He says. "You took his wallet? I only took a little cash from my parents" I tell him. We find a place to sit and wait for it's time to get on the bus. "How long of a wait" I ask. Jaeden pulls out his phone and checks the time, "It's 1:30 right now so 30 minutes" he tells me. I look down and I'm thinking about where we are right now and the more that I think about it, it's kinda funny. I start laughing a bit and Jaeden looks at me. "What's so funny" he jokes. "How did we get here? We went from two normal teens in Iowa to two runaways going to Michigan?" I say. "I don't know. I wouldn't trade it for the world though. I can't think of anyone else I would want to be sitting next to right now but you" he tells me. "Oh stop it." I say then I hesitate a little. "I feel the same way though. I've never wanted to be around someone and be with someone so much. I feel safe and more sure of things when your around" I tell him. We just look at each other and smile a little bit. He puts arm around me and he starts getting a little red and looks really nervous. "Hey y/n?" he ask. "Yeah" I reply. He pauses and opens up his mouth to talk but he's interrupted by an announcement. 2𝑎𝑚 𝑏𝑢𝑠 𝑓𝑜𝑟 𝑀𝑜𝑛𝑟𝑜𝑒, 𝑀𝑖𝑐ℎ𝑖𝑔𝑎𝑛 ℎ𝑎𝑠 𝑎𝑟𝑟𝑖𝑣𝑒𝑑. 𝑃𝑙𝑒𝑎𝑠𝑒 𝑔𝑜 𝑡𝑎𝑘𝑒 𝑦𝑜𝑢𝑟 𝑠𝑒𝑎𝑡 𝑖𝑓 𝑦𝑜𝑢 𝑎𝑟𝑒 𝑑𝑟𝑖𝑣𝑖𝑛𝑔". The announcement ends and I look back at Jaeden. "So what were you saying" I ask. "Oh, nothing. It's not important." He says. We get up with our stuff and go to take a seat on the bus. When we enter a bus we agree to sit in the back. He was nice enough to give me the window seat which I was pumped about. We sit and wait as the other people who are riding the bus slowly enter. The bus finally starts moving at around 3am. At 5am I notice Jaeden is fidgeting with his fingers. "Hey what's wrong" I ask. "My dad any minute is gonna be waking up to get me up for school and go to work. He's gonna notice something's off and that I'm not there." He tells me. I grab his hand an I assure him "It's gonna be fine. We're so far and just as long as we stay low we will be fine. We both need to stay optimistic.". "I was the one calming you down and now your calming me down, but yeah we really do need to stay optimistic because the last thing we need is for both of us to be stressed out" he agrees. "See. We'll be ok" I say. He hesitates a bit, but I know what he's thinking and with no hesitation I kiss him. I pull away but he pulls me back in for another one. The kiss stops and I put my head on his shoulder. As the bus ride continues I look up and Jaeden is sleeping. I hadn't slept all night either so I also decided to get sleep and when I wake up I'll be one step closer to freedom.