15. "Hey, handsome."

(1277 words)

As I lay in bed that night, I found it impossible to fall asleep just like the other nights. My beautiful Anastasia lingered in my mind. Her innocent face, her lovely voice, her beautiful dark brown locks and her mesmerising eyes; everything about her was haunting me. I still couldn't accept that she was gone. There was a part of me that screamed at me, telling me that she was alive and waiting for me to rescue her, but no matter how much I wanted to believe that, it couldn't be true. I had buried her brutally burned body with my own hands. She was truly gone and I didn't know if I'd ever be able to acknowledge that.

My body felt cold. I yearned for her warmth, her touch, her voice, her kisses, her love. I needed her.

———

*THE NEXT DAY*

"Sir, someone dropped this envelope for you at the front desk." Alayah said to me as I busily typed on my laptop.

"Who?" I asked without removing my eyes from the screen.

"Uh it says Jennifer Raymond." That made me snap my head in her direction. Sighing, I told her to put it on my desk and leave.

What does that girl want now?

I tore the envelope frustratedly and held the paper that came out of it.

Mr. Woods, I hope this hand-written letter of mine finds you well. If you'd be up for coffee sometime, that would be great. I'm writing my number below, so hit me up.

I sighed in frustration before crumpling up the piece of paper and tossing it in the bin. She sure was irritating.

There was another knock at the door. "Yes?" I called. Alayah walked in once again. "Sorry to disturb you, sir. But uhm...this bouquet got dropped at the reception too just now..."

I scrunched my eyebrows in confusion. What the hell is going on?

"Is it for me?" I inquired.

"It says so." She replied.

I sighed in annoyance. "Put it here." I gestured to my desk. She nodded before doing so and leaving.

I pulled the card resting between the lavender and lily bouquet. 'Breaking the stereotypes. I hope you'll like these. They're just as beautiful as you. Their fragrance reminded me of how good you smell. I hope you'll be up for a cup of coffee soon. Maybe I can get some of your cologne on me ;) With utmost love, Jennifer.'

That girl had completely lost her mind. What the heck was wrong with her? I was already surrounded by so many problems and she decided to be an add on to them. Aggressively, I tossed the bouquet into the bin where her previously sent letter also lay.

I would never, ever look at any other girl the way I looked at my Anastasia. She was the possessor of my heart forever and no girl could ever replace her. She was still mine and I would always remain hers.

———

*Unknown's POV*

I heated some food in the oven and hummed softly, a villainous smile making its way onto my face. Pulling the plate of food out of the oven, I placed it on a tray along with a glass of water and carried it to my basement.

"Well hello," I announced my presence. "I hope you're doing well."

She whimpered but she was too weak to say anything. "Don't be sad. Look I'm not cruel enough to be hurting you. I'm taking care of you, aren't I? Look I brought you food."

She sniffled and averted her gaze from me, squeezing her eyes shut. "Oh come on, don't be a drama queen. Eat," I said before turning on my heels. "I'll come to collect the tray soon."