Chapter 33

Chapter 33

After

Isang hikbi ang kumawala sa akin habang unti-unting lumiliit ang pigura ni Papa, hanggang nawala na siya sa aking paningin dahil sa patuloy na paglayo ng barko. My weak knees eventually gave in when I couldn't see him anymore.

There's a part of me who wants to go back and ask forgiveness to my father. That part of me who wants to obey him and leave Andro, as what he asks me to do.

However, that certain part is not enough to win over that larger portion of myself who wants to stand still with my own decision, with what I'm going to do, reason why I ended up here.

I don't know what will happen after this. All that I know is that I'm doing the right thing.

Nanatili akong nakatulala ng ilang minuto sa deck ng barko habang hinahayaang tumulo ang luha ko, kasabay ng tuluyang pagbuhos ng malakas na ulan.

I hugged myself tightly when I realized how cold it was. Kahit na gustong manatili roon ay hindi ko naman makaya ang lamig na dulot ng ulan.

Napaatras ako papalayo sa malamig na barandilya na humihiwalay sa akin sa malawak at malalim na karagatan nang may naalala.

Vivid images in my past haunted me as I realized the familiar view of the deck and the steel barricades. The cold wind sent chills on my spine as I continued stepping backwards, hindi pa nakatulong ang ulan na nagpalabo ng aking tingin.

I tried to wipe the mixed tears and rain on my eyes and decided to look for the place where I can sleep for tonight.

Mabilis kong nahanap ang tutulugang bunk beds pagkatapos makapagtanong sa isang staff. Dahil sa pagmamadali kagabi na makaalis kaagad ay hindi ko na inalintana kung magkano ang mabibili kong ticket.

Huli ko ring napagtanto na mega value class pala ang ticket na nabili ko. Kaya pala kaonti lang ang binayad ko rito.

Mabuti na rin iyon dahil nakatipid ako ng malaki. The money that Bianca gave to me was just enough for a week. Pero dahil cheap lang ang ticket na nabili ko, kahit hindi ko naman sinadya ay mukhang aabot pa siguro ito ng mga isang linggo at isang araw.

I could spend a thousand pesos per day for my meal and the remaining was for miscellaneous expenses. Hindi ko pa alam kung magkano ang magagasta ko sa pagpunta sa isla dahil hindi ko pa alam kung anu-ano ang sasakyan para makarating doon.

The last time we went back to Manila from the island, I was unconscious that's why I don't have any idea how to go back there. Siguro ay aabot ng dalawang libo ang makakaltas sa budget ko para lang makarating doon.

I sighed when I realized something.

I can't believe that I'm thinking how to allocate money for my day to day expenses right now. I find it ridiculous, but realized that I'm not new to this anymore. Nagawa ko na ito noon, nang pinalayas ako ni Andro sa kanyang pamamahay.

That was my training ground and somehow, for the first time, I was thankful that he did it. I discovered the other side of myself. I realized the reality of this cruel world.

After I found the number of my bed, I hesitated for a bit when I realized that I have to sleep together with some strangers inside the room. There were around ten to fifteen bunk beds, a flat TV screen on the wall attached at the center of the room and on the right side was the comfort room, I guess. The room was air-conditioned and properly illuminated. Mabuti na lang.

I quickly placed my wet bag on the floor as my eyes roamed at the busy and some sleeping passengers.

Dahan-dahan akong naupo habang inaayos ang basang buhok lalo na't napapansin ko rin ang nagtatakang tingin ng iba. I cleared my throat and awkwardly continued with what I'm doing.