Chapter Six

I played with water droplets from the glass of water that had been set in front of me trying to keep the tears from falling. I let the drops of water fall back into the glass as the door clicked open, “get changed and then we’ll start the questioning alright?” I nodded and he handed me a set of clothes and I walked into the bathroom locking the door behind me changing as quickly as possible rinsing any residue of blood from me. We returned to the questioning room and a folder had been set onto the table, “your name is Blake Kitsch, 16 correct?” I nodded and he sat in the chair across from me opening the folder, “can you explain how you knew the victim Skye Parker?” I motioned my hand like a pen and he looked confused, “you need something to write on?” and I nodded as he looked towards the one way window, “can you bring in a whiteboard please?” We waited a moment and the door opened and a whiteboard with a marker was placed onto the table and I grabbed it quickly writing she was my best friend we grew up together I lifted the board to reveal what I wrote.

He nodded, “what were you doing at the victim’s house?” I hesitated but wrote, "she had sent me a text saying that she needed me but it was too late by the time I got there." a tear slipped down but I quickly swiped it away, “where were you previously?” I swallowed, "Sky High." he wrinkled his eyebrows together, “the high school?” I nodded, “okay do you have anyone to confirm your alibi?” I nodded, "Principal Powers, Warren Peace, and Will Stronghold." he cleared his throat, “alright do you have any belief to why she could have done this?” I gulped, "we were both bullied at the school but when I left the kids started to pick on her a lot more since I wasn't there to stop them and she would call me crying telling me how horrible it was but the last time I had contact with her she was talking about how the head cheerleader outed her in front of the entire school and that everyone was making fun of her and just being really insensitive." he sighed, “what was she outed for?” I played with my fingertips, "she was bisexual." he cleared this throat loosening his tie, "can you tell me names of people who were bullying her?" I only wrote two names, "Clarity Richter and Aaron Abbot."

He nodded, “alright you’re free to head home but do you have a number you can be contacted by?” I nodded and wrote down my number on a piece of paper from the folder. He put his hand on my back leading me out of the room, “Danvers can you drive her home?” a younger male stood up, “of course detective?” I followed this Danvers guy, “alright where do you live?” I signed where I lived, “alright I can have you there in ten minutes.” I went to sit in the backseat but he stopped me, “you can sit in the front.” I nodded and sat in the passenger seat. We sat in a comfortable silence and we pulled up to my apartment building, “alright, here we are.” I went to climb out, “hey.” I looked at him, “I’m sorry for your loss.” I gave him a tight lipped smile offering him a thanks in sign language before heading into the building slowly making my way up to my apartment locking the door digging my phone out of my bag clicking on Warren’s contact, “hey you okay?” I smiled at his concern, “yeah but your mom is probably gonna get contacted by the police department so you can get questioned.” he sounded confused, "what why." A fresh wave of tears filled my eyes, "my best friend com-" a sob cut me off as I came to the realization I was never gonna be able to see her again. I slid down the door, "can you come over please?" He was silent for a moment, "what's your apartment number?"

 I laid my head against the door, "814." He hummed, "you wanna stay on the phone with me?" I shrugged then realized he couldn't see me, "I think I can hold myself together long enough for you to get here." He promised he'd be here soon and I hung up and walked over grabbing my guitar, "Not tryna be indie Not tryna be cool Just tryna be in this Tell me how you choose Can you feel why you're in this Can you feel it through All of the windows Inside this room." A stray tear fell but I continued, "Cause I wanna touch you, baby And I wanna feel you, too I wanna see the sunrise and your sins Just me and you Light it up, on the run Let's make love, tonight Make it up, fall in love, try But you'll never be alone I'll be with you from dusk till dawn I'll be with you from dusk till dawn Baby, I'm right here I'll hold you when things go wrong I'll be with you from dusk till dawn I'll be with you from dusk till dawn Baby, I'm right here I'll be with you from dusk till dawn Baby, I'm right here." A knock on the door cut me off and I walked over unlocking the deadbolt and swung the door open to reveal Warren.

 I opened my arms and he pulled me into a hug running a hand through my hair gently nudging me backwards so that he could close the door he picked me up and carried me into the bedroom laying me on the bed, “you need rest it was clear to me that you didn’t sleep well last night either especially since you were late to school.” I nodded and he moved a piece of hair behind my ear, “you wanna talk about it first?” I shook my head, “is that why you ran out of the detention center earlier?” I nodded as he went to stand but I grabbed his arm, “stay please.” he looked at the clock on my nightstand, “alright I can stay for a few hours.” he sat down with his back against the headboard and I laid my head in his lap I closed my eyes allowing myself to drift off into a restless sleep all while he continued to stroke my hair.