6*

Thursday, August 9th

Jonathan and Minx were sat on a blanket spread out on the ground. A wicker basket was in front of them, the lid dangling open as they munched on the snacks in front of them. They had decided to go on a date, and somehow Minx had convinced her boyfriend to take her on a picnic date.

So that's where they were, leaning into each other as they chatted happily about life. Jonathan had his arm snaked across Minx's shoulders, his other hand holding a cracker topped with cheese. Unfortunately, neither of them had enough money to be fancy, so they split cheese slices into four and called it good. It wasn't the most extravagant date, but it meant everything to Minx.

A decent sized pond reflected the sunlight and rippled aggressively every time a duck landed on it. The couple watched the ducks float around as they talked. Schlatt was working up the courage to take his therapists advice and talk to Minx. Hopefully it would end up with celebration and not an argument. Sometimes Minx was over-protective and it overwhelmed Jonathan. He hated that they had to dance around certain topics to appease his mood swings.

"So, my love, how did your visit go?" Minx spoke up after a brief moment of silence. Schlatt mentally thanked God for Minx being the one to bring it up. Minx took a sip of her sparkling juice before eagerly turning to her boyfriend.

"Well, it went pretty normal. She was pretty happy to hear I hadn't had any major problems." Jonathan said, taking a deep breath in. Minx tilted her head slightly, noticing that Jonathan hadn't been specific at all.

She pursed her lips, "That all?"

Jonathan's shoulders tensed up as he prepared himself. The last thing he wanted to do was hurt Minx, but if she responded badly to the news then Jonathan would probably panic. All he wants to do is get better, so he should probably listen to the licensed professional.

"Well, there is one other thing." Jonathan said, pulling Minx's delicate hand into his. "She thinks that I'm too dependent on you sometimes, and honestly she's right. You've done so much for me and I think it's time I start helping myself, you know?"

Minx swallowed nervously. She trusted her boyfriend, but couldn't help feeling slightly offended by his words. "What do you mean, helping yourself?"

"I rely on you a lot, and I think I should start being a little more independent." Maybe those weren't the right words, because Minx stiffly pulled her hand away.

"Do you think that's a good idea? Sometimes you can be really testy and I've never seen you come out of an episode by yourself. I mean, come on, Jonathan. I have to check in on your journal and your schedule to make sure you're not getting out of hand." Minx rushed, eyes pleading at her boyfriend.

Schlatt was taken aback. He assumed she would pull him into her arms (possibly with a few happy tears in her eyes) and tell him how proud she was. Did he expect her to react like this? Not even a little.

"Minx, I'm a grown adult. I was in a really really bad spot, but I'm doing much better. I want you to be my girlfriend, not my mom." Schlatt countered, finding himself scooting to face her directly. "Don't you trust me?"

Minx frowned, "I don't know."

Jonathan felt frustration and hurt swell inside his chest. How could she say that? That's not what significant others should say to each other during a situation like this.

"Listen, Minx. You should be proud of me. I get your concern, but really? Do you really want me to be completely dependent on you my whole life?" Schlatt felt his cheeks flush with embarrassment.

He stood up, feeling himself get upset. Jonathan hadn't exactly mastered his ability to keep his emotions in check. He began taking deep breaths, just like his therapist had told him. Minx stood too, trying to hug Schlatt who pulled away.

"Calm down, baby, remember your breathing." She whispered, her round eyes glazing over as she fought the urge to cry. She had arguing with him.

Jonathan shook his head. "Minx, this isn't just another episode, okay? This is me actually hurt and kind of pissed off at you. You can't blame my mental health every time I get slightly upset."

Minx pursed her lips. He was right, but she couldn't bring herself to say anything in response. Jonathan shook his head and ran his finger through his hair.

Sighing, he pulled out Minx's moms car keys (she was kind enough to let the pair borrow her car) and handed them to Minx. "I'm gonna call an Uber, okay? I think I'm just gonna head back to campus."

"What? Come on, J." Minx pleaded, grabbing his wrist to try and stop him as he turned away. Jonathan snatched his arm from her and backed away a few steps.

"I-I just need some time to think, okay? You do too, obviously." That was the last thing Schlatt said before he pulled out his phone and called an Uber, leaving his girlfriend in the park.

-

dramaaaaaaaaAaaaa

anyways i move into my dorms in T-minus THREE days :O

might be a little rough on the updates as i get used to college :)

<3