Chapter 19

The whole night was sleepless for Liu Yong, once he saw the first signs of light cast along the quiet city he stood out of bed and left the small dorm. Work was empty aside from the few officers working on overdue paperwork, all of them too busy with their own problems to bother with Liu Yong. Inside the gym all the machines were baron, even the officers that loved working their bodies hadn't woken from their slumber yet.

Like a robot, Liu Yong walked to the treadmill to begin his morning run. After running for an hour he moved onto an hour of weights, By the time he had finished the gym was bustling with life. Once his body was clean, Liu Yong returned to his office but left after picking up a stack of papers, heading towards his Supervisors office. The aged man was still feeling sleepy when a loud bang rang in his room. "Eh?! What are you doing Xiao Yong? Are you trying to lessen the amount of time I have left?"

"I want to start an investigation for Li Qing." Supervisor showed his confusion on his face before taking the thick pile of paper from his desk, he flicked through them quickly. Liu Yong glaring at him seriously the whole time. "This Li Qing, you believe she is involved with Wu Yun?"

"She is the head of the whole organisation, I have proof and witnesses declaring she was behind the first life extraction on demons." Supervisor was bewildered at Liu Yong's words. Weren't you on desk work? How did you find this out? Supervisor read through the files in his hands a little more carefully, the references showed that all the information was found through the case files in their precincts possession. You really are the great Liu Yong!

"I'll set up a meeting with the higher ups then get back to you, since this is deeper than we thought the team could use your expertise again but I won't be the one making that decision, everyone knows how close you and Wu Yun were. Although this is an investigation for Li Qing, Wu Yun is still involved."

"I understand but even if I don't get permission, I will take matters into my own hands." I know! Supervisor stood from his chair as he ushered Liu Yong out. "I already know Xiao Yong, I'll put in a few good words for you and we'll see. In the meantime it's still desk work for you."

Liu Yong slowly made his way to the canteen, the food was bland but he needed something in his stomach after working out for 2 hours. At the table he sat alone, numerous eyes landed on him followed by quiet whispers that he could clearly hear. Do you think Liu Yong is involved with that child he brought in? Child? Ms Wu was also there and she only deals with adults, why would Liu Yong call Ms Wu for a child? Whoever that boy was, he seemed pretty upset, people two floors below us could hear his bellowing.

The already bad food turned sour in Liu Yong's mouth and he angrily stood up, the whispering mouths shutting in fear. Even though Liu Yong never gave them even an ounce of attention or a small glance, they still looked down in shame.

For hours Liu Yong sat in his office. He tried reading through more files but his mind couldn't focus on the words. He turned and walked over to his wall covered in the photos of all the snake victims, Why snakes? The two files I found alongside Wang She's were of a fox and rabbit but after that, only snakes have been targeted. Li Qing, what is your end goal?

While waiting for the supervisor's decision on whether or not he would be able to join the investigation, Liu Yong wrote a proposal for a safety plan. If we can place seals on snakes to hide their demon identity then maybe the numbers of deaths can slow down. Maybe Li Qing will show her face again too.

_ _ _ _ _ _

Zhou RenShu sat in his bed without moving, he had no desire to leave the room or even leave his haven of blankets. He drifted in and out of sleep, whether he was awake or not his mind was full of Liu Yong. During his nth dream, Zhou RenShu was sitting in the flora field he had grown to hate, he sat on the ground while looking around timidly. Where is he?