Chapter Twelve: First Date with Ben

I was frantic, I didn't know what to wear! Tomorrow is our actual date! I have already prepared the clothes to wear in my head earlier when I was in class but when I tried one, it didn't went well as what I expected!

I have prepared 5 outfits for our date tomorrow and I just couldn't pick out which should I wear.

"Too simple!"
"Too formal!"
"Too fit!"
"Too baggy!"

I kept on complaining as I rummage my closet for yet another pair of clothes to wear.

We planned out a simple date, just a chat on a café nearby. But, here I am not knowing what clothes suits the place.

I was still rummaging through when I heard a knock on the door.

"Cris, honey what's that noise?" I heard my mom called out and before I was able to stand up and hold the door, she already let herself in.

She immediately saw the clutters in the room, the clothes laid everywhere, drawers were open and the closet was a mess. She looked at me with a discerning look and said-

"What are you up to young miss?" I stumbled upon my words. I can't tell her that I'm having a date with Ben! She'll go nuts about it.

"I uh- I'm fixing my clothes. I'm arranging them. Picking out the clothes I don't wear often for donations." I said, amazed how I came up with such a flawless lie in milliseconds.

Mom was still eyeing me, clearly not fully believing what I said. But in the end she just nodded and sat on my bed.

"Make sure to clean up this mess." I said. Mom was sighing, I know there must be a problem.

"What's wrong mom?" I asked and she looked down on the floor.

"Your sister, I'm worried about her."

My sister, which she was talking about, had an early marriage. She and her husband had been staying for quite a while here at home. But because of pride issues of her husband, they've decide to stay at his parents' house, permanently.

"She'll be okay mom. I'm sure we'll get to visit her at times." I tried to cheer her up and gave her a hug.

"I'm just worried that she might not be welcome there. I couldn't help it." She said in a low voice.

"I know you can't stop worrying, you're our mom. You have the right."

"Cris, promise me something." My mom looked emotional.

"What is it mom?"

"Promise me that you won't be like your sister. Promise me that you'll finish your studies first before you start a relationship."

She said while holding my hands. I felt guilt creep inside me. I knew that my parents do not support this kind of relationship I had with Ben. I know they've been traumatized how my sister eloped at an early age. I know yet.... I couldn't stop myself from being with Ben.

I gave her a slight nod and she smiled at me. With tired eyes, she smiled at me. I'm sorry mom. But I'm not sure if I can keep that promise.

The next day I was fiddling my hands while I commuted to where we were supposed to meet. It was raining and I hadn't brought an umbrella. I was nervous, this is our first date! It's the first time we are together in the open like this.

I ended up wearing comfortable clothes and a jacket so it wasn't a problem for me to walk under the rain. When my ride came to a stop, I quickly went down and ran the distance from the café. And there I saw my Ben waiting for me at the entrance. His eyes gleamed as he looked at me walking towards him.