Chapter Thirteen: Broken Ben

I woke up feeling a little cranky, I still have an hour to prepare for school. I lazily got up and went to the  bathroom to start my daily life.

The weather was gloomy today. Great, the weather decided to go with my mood. For some reason, I didn't know why I felt this day would be boring when it hadn't even started yet. I looked at the people at school, they were all looking gloomy too. At least I wasn't alone.

I started to walk towards the room and just as I was about to take the flight of stairs, I heard a familiar voice calling me.

"Cris!"

He greeted with a sunny smile on his face. What an ironic look.

"Hey Arlo."

I simply said.

I know I owe him an apology for how Ben acted the last time we went out to buy his gift. He kinda looked bothered throughout our time at the mall.

"I'm sorry about last time." He looked at me quizzically, brows arched.

"What are you sorry about?" He asked and I gave him a deadpan look. It took him 3 seconds to figure out what I was talking about. I don't know if he was pretending not to know or just genuinely unaffected.

"You don't have to be sorry about anything, you helped me in the first place."

"I was hoping to help you pick out purse, not be a critic like how I acted."

"It wasn't your fault. I never knew Ben was the jealous type." He laughed and walked ahead of me to greet his friends.

Come to think of it, he's friends with a lot of girls, why did he bother me instead? What a prick.

I stood in front of the door frame of our room, scanning the area. I didn't know why, I just do it unconsciously. I sat on my seat and wanted to play a game while I wait for the teacher. But when I reached in my pocket, it was empty. Weird, I always put my phone in my pocket. I rummaged through my bag, each passing minute I was having this series of mini heart attacks whenever I can't feel my phone.

"No way."

I whispered upon remembering that I left my phone at home, while it was charging. I tried to borrow some of my classmates' phone to text my sister to unplug it because it might really cause a fire or I might end up phoneless for the whole year. Not to mention that I just recently got it.

I sent the text and hoped that she read it and was able to avoid accidents. When the teacher arrived, I did my best to put my worries about my phone at the back of my head. But all throughout the day, I had this uneasy feeling. Something must be wrong.

Lunch time came and I was about to grab some lunch with my friends when I saw Ben trudging towards our building. I felt excited all of a sudden. He was carrying something on both hands that looked like food.  I smiled at him once our eyes met.

When was the last time I saw him? Was it last week? Why do I feel like I haven't seen him for a long time?

He arrived to where I was and I greeted him merrily.

"I missed you." He uttered and I felt giddy.

"I missed you too Ben." I said and grabbed the bags he was holding only to find out my senses were right.

"Food!" I said excitedly and heard him chuckle. He patted me on the head, sat on the floor and removed the contents of the bag one by one.

"OMG, you got me fries and vanilla ice cream."
My eyes almost turned into hearts. He always remembers little things about me. I remembered mentioning to him that I miss eating fries with vanilla ice cream and here he is.