Chapter 11

The little farm stood quiet, and comfortable, and safe, tucked into the valley. Just the way Jaime remembered it. It seemed a hundred years since he and Brienne had left their cozy refuge, rather than just a few weeks. As he turned the wagon down the lane that led toward the house and barn, Jaime saw Aiken and Mary going about the day's business in their modest yard and smiled to himself. It was good to see them again. It was good to be back.

Aiken looked up from mending an ages old span of fence, and Mary turned from hanging out her washing, as Jaime came driving up the house. They hastily stopped what they were doing, and came rushing to meet him. "Ser Jaime." Aiken acknowledged happily, stretching his hand in greet as he approached.

Jaime had halted the horse, and jumped to ground. "Aiken." He beamed. "It is good to see you, my friend." He laughed, as he pumped the old man's hand.

Mary reached them only seconds later. Jaime bowed to her. Taking her hands, he bent and kissed her aging knuckles if she were a queen. The old woman smiled with flattered delight. Jaime straightened and flashed a happy grin.

"You know that is going to go straight to her head." Aiken warned, laughingly. Mary swatted his arm, and rolled her eyes.

Jaime smiled broadly in reply. "As it should." He declared. "She deserves it." He regarded them both warmly. Aiken nodded his agreement.

Mary's face suddenly grew serious for a moment. "Ser Brienne? The babe? Are they alright?" She asked concerned, but hoping that Jaime's smile meant that she need not worry.

Jaime beamed. "They are well, and safe at Casterly Rock." He informed her, happily.

"Oh, Praise the Gods." Mary answered joyfully. Jaime and Aiken joined in her glee.

"To what do we owe the honor of your visit, Ser Jaime?" Aiken inquired.

Jaime looked over his shoulder. "I have come to return your wagon, and horse." Jaime gestured toward the rig. "We were fortunate to have it. The bed filled with hay saved Brienne and Galladon more than once." He shuddered, reliving frightening memories. "My gratitude is immeasurable." He bowed his head.

Aiken accepted his compliment honorably. "I am pleased and relieved that it served it's purpose." He declared.

"We certainly did not expect its return so soon." Mary told Jaime, humbly. "Please say you did not travel all this way simply to bring the wagon back to us. Surely, it is not yet safe." She eyed him, compassionately.

Jaime's countenance suddenly changed. He lowered his gaze to the ground. "I have unfinished business in the Kings Landing." He almost whispered, not meeting their eyes. The elderly couple understood that he meant to end the life of the woman who was still a threat to the one he loved, and their child.

Aiken and Mary nodded their understanding, but said nothing more about the purpose behind Jaime's journey. Mary's motherly instincts took over as she began to tug Jaime by the arm. "Will you stay the night with us, Ser?" She beseeched. "So that you will be rested and refreshed for the remainder of your journey?" She offered hopefully.

Jaime smiled gratefully, but would not accept her kindness. "I fear I cannot." He explained, hoping Mary's feelings would not be injured. "I must attend to my affairs in the Capital, and hasten back to Ser Brienne." Jaime told her. His expression changed to apprehension. "I did not leave her in the best of humors."

"She is upset with you?" Aiken asked, almost in disbelief. The loving nature between Ser Jaime and Ser Brienne which he had witnessed during the time the couple were their guests led him to believe a quarrel would never occur between the two.