Chapter 2-A Nostalgia-Inducing Car Ride

Derek's POV

"What were you doing before you realized Ms. Mota was going to commit sucide", the officer asked me.

He had taken me to the police station to ask me a few question right after they had taken Beth's body away. "I was taking a shower", I replied.

"Why were you in the hotel in the first place if you already have a house in this very city"

"Well you see officer, Bethany and I live together but our house had been infested with bugs, so we had to leave the house for 3 days so they could exterminate the bugs"

"When did this happen"

"4 days ago"

"Had she shown any signs of depression or stress in the past 2 weeks"

"No, officer", I replied, telling a half truth. Bethany had been quite unhappy most of the time we were at the hotel, but I had thought she was sad because of our house and having to leave most of her items there, but now I was starting to have second thoughts...

He looked past me and to the glass. There was one-way glass behind me. The people on the other side could see through the glass, but to me, on this side, it was just a mirror.

There was a camera in the top right corner rolling, recording every word I had said to the officer.

He looked over the pile of papers he had in front of him. The sheet on the top of the pile was Beth's profile, with her passport photo in the corner. She was smiling and I could see her dimples. I missed her very much, but I was determined to not cry in front of the officer. He might label me as unstable.

He stood up from his chair. "Well, that's all for now", he said,"I'll call you if I have any more questions". I stood up and shook his hand. He led me out of the room and into a lobby filled with comfortable dark blue chairs.

Mark Ballas, my best friend was sitting there. He had his head in his hands, not noticing when I had arrived.
I looked over my shoulder at the officer. He nodded his head and then left. I walked over to Mark and tapped him on the shoulder.

He looked up at me, then stood up. "I heard what happened to Beth, I'm so sorry Derek", he explained. "Can we, please, just go", I asked. I didn't want to start crying here. "Oh...ah...sure", he said, surprised by my reply.

We walked over to his car. I hopped into the the passenger seat. Mark got in and then started to drive. I looked outside the window, on the verge of crying.

"So, I was thinking that we should go to Starbucks and get something to drink, is that okay", he asked me. I shrugged.

"Is it okay if I turned on some music", he asks. "Sure", I say, continuing to stare out the window.

He flips through the radio channels. Shake it off by Taylor swift is on. "That's the first song I danced with her", I said thinking back to when I first found out she was going to be my partner. I got to dance with the first ever youtuber on dancing with the stars. I was so excited. I stayed up late that night and learnt as much as I could about her. Her birthday is November 7. She is actually an aunt! I also watched many of her videos.

He flipped to another channel. All about that bass by Meghan Trainor was on. "Beth and I danced to that song on week 2", I remember she had a sprained ankle and that she stood on top of a bass.

Mark flips the radio channel and Beth's song need you right now comes on. I break down in tears. I missed her so dearly, but alas, she wasn't coming back. Her melodious voice surrounds me. Reminding me that she is dead. I choked back a few tears and said, "Oh Beth, I need you right now".