Chapter 8-Eyes Open

I began to sob in my hands after she slammed the door shut.

I missed Bethany dearly. Whenever I thought about her, my heart began to ache and my stomach began to churn.

I shut my eyes for a moment, before running to the bathroom and purging.

I walked back to the living room, back to the place where Stevie stabbed me in the heart with the dagger of heartbreak.

There I saw, sitting on the table was a photo of Bethany and I in a glass frame. I picked up the picture and rubbed my thumb down Bethany's check before launching the picture into the wall.

Watching it shatter to pieces. I flipped the table and Bethany's diary fell onto the ground. I repositioned the table before picking up the diary.

A piece of paper fell out of the book. It was folded many times until it was only a small rectangle. I unfolded the paper and began to read it...

Dear diary,

I'M PREGNANT!! How could I have let this happen? Derek doesn't want any kids. If he finds out I'm pregnant, he'll freak! I'm such an idiot. I should have taken birth control or even got him to wear a condom. I'm so foolish. I can't tell him, I won't tell him. I'll just break up with him. I'll take care of the baby on my own. I'll leave before I spill the secret. He'll never know. I could just abort the baby, but I don't want to!

Bethany

She wrote this the night right before she had committed suicide.
Memories began to come back to me in flashes.

Bethany taking the pregnancy test, writing on the sheet of paper that she is pregnant. reading the nasty and horrific comments that were absolute lies, pushing to the breaking point, sitting on the balcony and committing suicide.

Bethany died because I was an idiot, not her and because I was foolish, not the other way around, and now she was dead, and I would never ever be able to get her back.

•••

Then, I woke up, with my beautiful Bethany sleeping, looking stunning as ever.