Chapter 6 (kinda cute chapter)

The Mags are much quicker than the coal and electric trains of the past, but train rides could still exceptionally long.  The ride from Tussold South to Grestonville was scheduled to take three hours to get to the half way point to switch trains and then another three and a half to get to Grestonville.  That meant an eleven o'clock arrival time.  I hoped no police would be waiting to great us when we arrived. 

Next me, Jet was nervously toying with the straps of her duffel bag, staring straight out of the window.  She had her brave face on but I could tell it was just a mask, covering her fear.  I felt a wave of sympathy for her, and chastised myself for the hundredth time for not leaving when she had gone to school.  She still would have been arrested, but her sentence would have much lighter than if/when they caught. 

"Are you okay?" I asked gently and she turned to me and put on a smile.

"Yeah," she said, turning towards me, "Just a little tense.  Then again I guess that's to be expected under the circumstances," she finished with a slight laugh, trying to make light of the situation..

"I suppose so," I said with a slight smile, and I saw Jet's face become slightly more relaxed.  Then a thought occurred to me and I wasn't sure whether to voice it or not.  Eventually, though, my curiosity got the better of me.  "What did you write on that paper before we left?"

Jet's face turned to a slight frown and her eyes showed sadness.  She turned her gaze back to the window and I regretted asking the question that was causing her pain.  She stayed silent for a few moments and I didn't think she'd answer me when she whispered, "I wrote a note to my father."  She paused for a moment then continued, "I told him I was sorry to have caused all of this trouble and that I hoped he didn't get in trouble, too.  Then I told him I loved him."

I saw tears well ing in Jet's eyes as she said this and I placed my hand on her shoulder to comfort her.  "None of this is your fault," I told her as she continued to look out of the window.  "You haven't done anything wrong," I whispered gently, then paused debating whether or not to continue, then said, ''And I'm sure your father will still love you, regardless."

That's when the water works began.  Tears began to stream down Jet's face and she buried her head in my shoulder.  Unsure what to do with the crying girl, I put my arm hesitantly around her shoulders, glad there was no one else in our compartment. 

"I- I'm s-s-sorry," Jet said between sobs, eyes shut tight.  "I n-never cr-cry, It's j-j-just..."

"It's okay," I consoled her.  "I understand," and I did.  Leaving a loved one behind, feeling as if you may have disappointed them, is one of the worst feelings in the world.  "Sometimes crying os the best way to release your pain," I said, "It shows your human."

Slowly Jet's shudders and sobs slowed and her breathing turned back to normal.  Jet's head left my shoulder and I withdrew my arm from around her shoulder.  She snuffled on last time and wiped her eyes on her sleeve.  Then she looked up to me with a slightly embarrassed look and said, "Thank you."

"For what?" I asked, confused by her thanks.

"For being so kind," She said in a serious voice.  "For helping me taking me along and not leaving me to fend for myself against the government," she took a breath, "For saving me from getting shot in the first place when you could have just kept walking and saved yourself all of this trouble."

I just gaped at her for a moment, not used to kind or complementary word.  "I beleive I'm the one who should be doing the thanking," I replied.