Chapter 9

Chris fell asleep shortly after he finished off the bag of chips.  His eye lids started to droop first, then his head began to dip, jerking up again every few seconds. I could tell he was desperately fighting sleep but was failing miserably.  "You should sleep, I'll keep watch," I told him.

"It's nearly six in the morning, the sun's nearly up, we should get moving, there's no time for me to take a nap," He replied, moving to stand.

"Look at you, you're practically dead on your feet."  I could tell he still wasn't going to take my advice so I pulled my trump card.  "Besides I'm still feeling a little shaky, I'm not sure how great I'd fair if we ran into more trouble."  He paused and looked at me in concern and I knew I had him.  He would run himself into the ground if were only him, but when other people needed a break, he was exceptionally considerate.

"Okay, but lets try to get moving again by eight," Chris said, sitting back down on the rug next to me.  "Are you sure you don't need a rest, because I could stand watch instead."

"I'll be fine, now sleep," I commanded gently and Chris submitted and layed down on the floor, bundling his extra shirt under his head for a makeshift pillow.  No more than ten seconds had passed before his breathing evened out and his body relaxed. He looked younger, more peaceful in his sleep.  All of the cautiousness and tension his face usually held was gone, replaced with a serene mask.  After a few minutes Chris smiled slightly in his sleep and I wondered what he was dreaming about.

I inventoried our supplies as the sounds of the awakening city filtered through the building's wall.  The first aid kit was still well stocked and unharmed.  None of the extra clothing had gotten lost in the fray at the church but a bullet hole was visibly through the right leg of my extra pair of jeans. We still had $270 left.  I sighed, we'd have to make it last as long as possible.

With nothing else to do, I flipped open my little cell phone.  When I saw I had no missed calls or new messages my heart dropped a little.  I guess subconsciously I had been hoping my dad had contacted me after his call earlier to explain himself.  He hadn't.  I snapped the phone shut and pushed it back into my pocket where it sat like a rock.

When eight o'clock rolled around I gently nudged Chris to wake him up.  He didn't react so I nudged him again, this time harder.  Nothing.  Then I had a wondrous idea.  As sneakily as I could I grabbed the end of the rugs, which Chris's upper body was resting on, and pulled with all me might.  One thud and a string of surprised and angry curses later Chris was on his feet glaring at me. 

"What the heck was that about?" He asked.  "A simple 'wake up Chris' would have worked."

I smirked at him.  "I nudged you twice and you didn't respond, and I got worried," I said in a fake scared voice, widening my eyes a little for effect.  Not buying it, he rolled his eyes at me in mock exasperation then chuckled under his breath.

"Ready to head out?" He asked and I nodded then stopped.

"Where are we planning on going?" I asked.  I mean, it's not like there was a publicly advertised safe house that protected people from the government that we could just waltz on into.

"I was thinking the we should ask around about the sentinels that your dad mentioned in his call.  He said they could help us and we need help."  Chris said.

"So we just pop around buildings and ask for the sentinels?"  I asked incredulously. 

"Something like that," Chris responded mysteriously then walked to the door.  After glaring in his general direction for not answering me I followed him out the door then down a staircase.  The stairs ended in a little room with a heavy metal door which Chris pushed open, revealing a filthy alleyway.  After we quickly scittered to the end of the alley, we carefully hid ourselves in the morning commuter crowds, being sure to stay towards the center of the maelstrom.  As we walked I realized the crowds were getting less well dressed and the buildings were not as well kept.