Chapter 12 (I regret NOTHING ;D )

I recognized the man on the up-link screen from the pictures in Jet's apartment.  There was no mistaking his blonde hair and dark brown eyes.  I felt Jet tense beside me and knew without looking at her that her eyes were wide in surprise and her mouth was pinched in a slight grimace.  I had only known Jet a few days but it felt like much longer and I knew how she reacted to things without looking at her.  She was surprised but trying to hide it.  The look reminded me of the way she had hidden her fear from the gunmen and of how that had reminded me of another person I was close to who had stood brave in the face of danger as well.  The only differences between the two situations was that I had saved Jet but I had not saved the other. 

I shook my head to clear it.  This was not the time to dwell on the past, this was a time for answers. 

"Dad," Jet said, speechless for a moment then said, "What is going on?  How are you involved in all of this?"

"Hello, Jet."  Her father smiled on the screen anxiously then looked at me.  "And you must be Chris DeClancy."

"Yes sir," I replied.  This man had an air about him, even over a satellite up-link, that called for proper and respectful manners.

"You can call me Mr. Rowan, sir sounds too formal."  Then he looked back to Jet and said, "I'm sorry this has been soo confusing and dangerous for you, both of you, but I promise I'll explain everything now."

Jet crossed her arms over her chest, "I'm listening."  Her voice was strained calm and I could hear a whole mess of emotiones roiling under the surface.

Jet's father, Mr.Rowan, sighed.  "I suppose I should first welcome you to the Sentinels.  The Sntinels are a group that aids mutants and humans who are at odds with the government for doing nothing wrong.  We try to protect and provide services for those who need our help, offering shelter and a chance at life without the government hunting you.  I," he paused, seeming nervous, "Am one of the third in command of the Sentinels and head of our shelter and housing sector."

"Why have you never told me any of this?"  Jet asked, the pain peaking into her voice and I found myself wondering the same thing.  Why had Jet's father never told about the Sentinels.

"I wanted to keep you safe,"  Mr. Rowan said, pain in his voice, "If you didn't know anything and went around like a normal child, you were less likely to be targeted by anyone."

"Well that didn't work too well," Jet said bitterly and I saw tears in her eyes.  "You lied to me all these years and some crazy gunmen came after me anyway."  She stop and took a rugged breath.  "How could you lie to me all those years?  How could you tell me to watch my tounge about what I said about he government aven through their corrupt and prejudice and you knew it?  How could you teach me mutants were evil even though you knew they weren't and let me beleive it?  How could you just lie to me like that?  I thought you trusted me."

Agony was etched on Mr. Rowan's face, "I do trust you and it hurt me evey time I lied to you.  You have to beleive I just wanted to protect you from all of this.  The government chasing you as well as many others.  I wanted to keep this all from happening so you could be safe and happy."

"Happy?"  Jet asked, her voice getting louder, "You wanted me to be happy even though I was brainwashed by the government like every other kid.  You wanted me to hate mutants just because they are what they are and to worship a corrupt government and that would make me happy?  That all the lies could create a perfect little life for me to live on.  Didn't you ever think that maybe I would be happier with the truth, without all of that hate and lies fed into me."