Chapter 10: The Confession

I woke up at 8 a.m. and I was so tired. I didn't want to get up at all, but I had to. I felt a lot emotions, everything was just so confusing and my life was slowly turning in to a big blur. I got dressed and headed out for the beach. I really needed to clear my mind.

While I was on that beach, my mind actually got some clarity. I needed to accept that my actions were going to have consequences, and I needed to weigh everything out...

Was it all worth it?

This could change everything.

After an hour of deep thinking, I went to the restaurant to grab something to eat. Kate saw me and she signaled me to join her for breakfast.

"I haven't seen you in a while... What have you been up to?" Kate asked.

I looked at my sister and I decided that I needed some advice.

Here goes nothing.

I told Kate everything. I told her about John and how he felt. I told her about how I felt. I also told her about what was bothering me so much, and about how messed up everything was. It really felt good to let it all out. I missed my sister, I just missed talking to her like this and seeking for advice.

Kate was calm. "So you haven't told Lexy yet?"

"Yes, not yet. I just need the perfect moment to-"

"Kip, there's never going to be a perfect moment. If you're really sure about your feelings for John, then go tell Lexy. She's your best friend, she'll understand."

"I hope you're right."

After breakfast, I texted Lexy to meet me at the beach. I waited for 10 minutes. I seriously hoped that she wouldn't show up, but she did.

I felt bad again.

"Hey Kip, so what's this all about?"

I looked at Lexy straight in the eyes. "Lexy, I need to know. How much do you like John?"

Lexy laughed, thinking that I was joking. When she saw that I was serious, she stopped laughing. For a moment, the air between us felt different.

"Kip, I've told you countless times, I really love him."

I felt like my soul was suffocating.

"Lexy... I'm really sorry, but I have to tell you something-, something I think that you need to know, but it will hurt, and I want you to know that I never wanted to hurt you..."

Lexy stared at me with so much confusion.

"Lex, I like John..."

Holy crap I said it.

"I think I might even love the guy, and the thing is he loves me. I'm sorry that it took so long for me to tell you all of this. I tried telling you last night, but it was so hard and I got scared at how you might react."

Lexy looked at me blankly. I had no idea how she felt. The expression on her face was blank. I didn't know how I felt about that.

"Kip, I can't believe that you'd actually think I'd be mad at you? I'm your best friend, of course I'd understand."

I felt so good hearing that from Lexy. I hugged her so tight.

"I know.... I know. I'm so lucky to have a best friend like you."

Lexy and I talked for 2 hours. I explained to her everything. She seemed to understand how I felt. After talking, I got a text from John saying that he wanted to meet me at the rightmost part of the beach, I decided to bring Lexy along, I didn't want to just leave her alone after I confessed all those things.

"Don't worry, you're not a third wheel." I said to her on our way to meet John.

She gave a faint smile.

This was going to be more awkward than I thought.

Lexy and I got to the place and the first person we saw was Jim.

"Hey, where's John?" I asked.

"He left to get some drinks." Jim said without even looking at me.

"So... I'm guessing John told you."

"Yes... Yes he did. I'm actually happy for the both of you, this is just a bit awkward, that's all.."

"I know. John and I just wanted to make things work for the four of us. We never meant to hurt you guys in any way, and we're really happy that you guys support us."

"Of course Kip! I mean both of you mean so much to us." Lexy said.

John finally came back with the drinks.The four of us drank and talked for an hour and the awkward feeling was starting to subside. Jim and Lexy started talking and John and I decided to take a short walk on the beach.

"This is really nice." I said to John.

John smiled and turned to look at me, "Are you happy?"

I held John's hand, "Yes, I am... Are you?"

John hugged me, this hug was a little different, it lasted longer and it worried me a bit.

"John.... Are you okay?" I asked.

"I just have this feeling that this might be the last time I'll get to hug you like this."

My heart broke.

"What are you talking about John? Are you saying that you don't want to be with me?"

John shook his head, "No no! Not like that. I mean, now that our main problem is gone, it's just between the two of us... What if we don't work out the way we want it to, because one of us gives up on the other... Or something like that."

I was surprised at how worried John was, and I felt that worry as well. I could tell that he was afraid of getting hurt, and I was terrified that I might hurt him.

I held John's hands tightly.

"John, look at me. Tell me what you see."

John smiled softly and looked straight into my brown eyes.

"I see an amazing person."

I smiled. "Well, that amazing person wants you to know that you're amazing too, and that she'd be crazy to let you go."

John's smile was brighter now, and he felt so relieved to hear me say those words. He hugged me and kissed me on the forehead.

"Yes..." John whispered.

"Yes what?" I asked softly.

"Yes, I'm happy."

John and I continued to enjoy our little own world on that side of the beach. We forgot about Lexy and Jim and hadn't noticed that they had stopped talking and just started staring at the both of us.