12. Sweet x Like x Candy

After a moment the woman sounded like she heard something, then cried out,
"Oh! Why must father be this way?!" She sounded like a spoiled child. It made my blood boil. I wanted to help Killua. Now that I had seen even the slightest bit of what he grew up in I knew his life must have been a living hell. I wanted to let him be a kid.
"I'm sorry, I'm afraid something has come up, farewell." The woman said swiftly after composing herself. Her voice was polite but cold. She was telling us to kindly fuck off. I balled my fist in anger and looked away from the woman slightly. I probably shouldn't get killed today... She started to run away when Gon stood up.
"Wait. Hold on!" He yelled, his face swollen. His voice was strained and I knew he must have been in a lot of pain but he refused to show it. The woman stopped and turned back to us.
"It's just that, we'll be staying in town for a while. Make sure you let Killua know." The woman nodded slightly, her bandaged face still giving off an air of danger and elegance.
"Yes, I'll be sure to tell him. Good day," she said. She sounded upset and out of breath as she turned and promptly left.
The girl with short hair and a kimono was left staring at us. "Who are all of you? Tell me." She said.
"We're all friends with Killua," I responded my voice even despite my anger.
"You're his.. friends?" She asked softly. Then I heard the woman yell again.
"Kalluto! What are you doing? Come here!" The girl, Kalluto, turned and ran off.
"Coming!"

Eventually, we stood outside the butler's quarters. Five intimating looking people stood outside and bowed to us as we approached.
"Welcome lady and gentlemen." The man in the middle said. He was wearing the same velvet purple uniform as his coworkers but his broach was red instead of a light blue. He had short black hair and a goatee as well as v-shaped glasses. I could tell immediately that he was the leader. And like his coworkers, his aura was powerful.
We soon found ourselves inside as the butler explained.
"I apologize for our previous discourtesy, the lady of the house has informed us that you will now be treated as official guests." I watched a butler patch up Gons wounds then went to him, looking him over. For a moment I fussed over him like a mother before he finally looked up at me and smiled with those bright eyes of his. "I'm okay, Suki." I ruffled his hair and nodded. He was a Hunter now, I had to give him credit...
We sat down on the couch, the tension in the air. I felt uneasy. The butler was hiding something from us.
"So, this isn't the main residence?" Kurapika asked, keeping his voice even.
"No, this is the butler's quarters." The girl who I had learned the name was Canary said evenly. I anxiously tapped my fingers against my leg. Something wasn't right.
"Look, we only came here to see Killua.. can you please take us to him?" Leorio asked hopefully. Suddenly the man's aura got intense and I grabbed Kurapika's hand. He raised an eyebrow and looked at me. I gave him a look that said be prepared for anything. He swiftly nodded and turned back to the butler.
"That won't be necessary. Master Killua is on his way this very moment." He said without emotion. That was a lie. I knew it was. His aura was screaming malice and deception. I was scared. We were in the lion's den with nowhere to run.
"Wait, really?" Gon exclaimed, slamming his hands onto the table. I jumped at the noise slightly and Kurapika gave my hand a comforting squeeze.
"Yes,"
"Great news huh Gon?" Leorio exclaimed as Gon sat back down. He grinned. "Yep!" Leorio and Gon hadn't even noticed how tense Kurapika and I were. I bit my lip.
"It would be so tedious to just, sit, and wait. I propose we pass the time with a game." The butler said, a slight smirk on his face. Shit. What was he planning?
"A game you say?" I asked trying to keep my voice level. The man took out a coin then flipped it into the air. When it came down he grabbed it but it wasn't super noticeable which hand took it.
"Which hand holds the coin?" He asked. I knew it immediately.
"The left hand," The four of us said in unison. The man smiled slightly then opened both.
"That is correct. Now, I'll move more quickly this time." He flipped the coin again and caught it, this time much faster than before.
"Now, which hand?" He asked.
"It's the left again," Gon responded. The man opened his hand.
"How marvelous!" He exclaimed while the other butlers clapped. "Well, I shall have to try harder this time." I could tell he was barely trying. I hated it. I was being toyed with and I knew it. He flipped the coin again and was much faster. He caught it.
"So, which hand?"
"Hm. I'm not sure but I'd say right?" Leorio asked without much care. I felt the man's malice in his aura grow.
"You see, I've known Master Killua his entire life, and I care for him as if I would my own son. In all honesty, I despise you for attempting to take him away." Finally, Leorio and Gon had sensed the malice. We all tensed up as I strengthened my ten, ready to envelop my friends too if need be. "Well, which hand? Answer." He said, his voice much more serious.
"The left hand," I said with conviction. He opened his hand to show a bent coin. I was correct.
"The lady's voice was a bare whisper. Her son is leaving and it's breaking her heart... I can't forgive you. Before Master Killua arrives, I shall test each of you by my own methods. You have no choice." The remaining butlers quickly brandished swords and placed one against Canarys throat.
"Canary!" Gon and I yell in unison. I felt adrenaline and fear pump through my veins. Would I be able to fight not only my way out of here but my friends? It was clear they all knew nen. I was outnumbered and out skilled. Shit! Why did this always happen? I clenched my fist and turned back.
"This is her punishment for defying orders and bringing you here. Allow me to explain the rules. If you answer incorrectly, you are out. Should you all be disqualified which is quite possible, then I shall tell Master Killua that you left and that he will never see any of you again." His voice was even and hard, dripping with anger and poison. It sent a shiver down my spine.
"Killua is-" Gon tried to protest but was cut off.
"Silence! Your very lives hang by a most delicate thread. Answer my question, I will not ask again." He flipped the coin and caught it once more with extraordinary speed and ability.
"Now which hand? And time is of the essence. You only have three seconds. You there, once three seconds are up, slit her throat." He said to the man holding Canary. I was pissed and scared. I wanted to fight but I knew I would lose. I would have to play their stupid game.
"Hold on, I pick the left hand!" Leorio exclaimed.
"I pick the right," Gon said.
"Yes me too," Kurapika answered.
"Me as well," I finished. If this was the only test I could most likely ace it. I used a combination of en and Third Eye to see which hand he had it in. I was able to sense a little patch in his balled fist without aura. That was the coin. He opened his fists to reveal the coin in the right hand.
"One has been disqualified." He said. He flipped the coin again.
"Which hand?" He asked. Kurapika looked at Gon and Gon nodded.
"I choose the right hand," He said.
"And I pick the left," Gon said. I nodded.
"The left," I said. The man opened his hands.
"It was in my left hand, now only two remain." He went to flip it again before Gon stopped him.
"Wait just a minute," he stopped.
"What is it? If you're trying to buy time I will kill one of you." His voice was full of anger. I bit my lip again. Gon turned to Leorio.
"Leorio, gimmie your knife." My eyes widened. He better not try to do something stupid. "Don't worry okay? I'm not going to try to do something stupid." Gon finished, taking off his eye patch. Leorio handed him the knife and Gon took it, slitting his swollen eye. My eyes widened in surprise. I hadn't thought of that... He had cut himself to reduce the swelling.