4. The Way Things Are

7 in the morning. Aizawa shot up from the bed, remembering where he was and why he was there. He'd usually sleep in and go to work a little later, no matter how many times YN called him, but now he had no such option. He was there to help her, not burnden her. No matter how much he wished to slide in bed beside her and sleep some more, the man walked past her bedroom and straight to the kitchen. He was about to make some coffee and breakfast, wake her up and hurry off to work, but the sight before him made him stop in his tracks.
'Good morning, Shota. I was about to wake you up after that cigarette.' Y/N bloodshot eyes bore into him as she smiled.
'Why are you up?' his hoarse voice made her weak in the knees, just like always.
'Well, I couldn't sleep. I kept on having nightmares so I came here to have some coffee.'
'I'm here to look after you, not on a vacation, you should' ve woken me up.' Aizawa neared the table, taking his cup of coffee in hand and standing up before her.
Morning Aizawa was not something Y/N was used to. His hair was even messier, his eyes still half-open, his shirt was twisted, his moves were slower. It made the woman's heart twist, but she couldn't think about that too much. Her mind was clouded with visions from last night's nightmare. Yes, it was just one. She'd been in the kitchen, drinking coffee for the best part of the night, trying to distract herself with her phone, but nothing helped. Y/N thought about waking him up or sliding in bed next to him, but couldn't bring herself to do it. The woman didn't want to bother him any more than that. And now she regretted inviting him and not Kayama.
'It is what it is. Next time I'm gonna wake you up.' her eyes left his figure as she leaned back in the couch, making herself comfortable once again.
'I really don't want to start the day with a conversation like that, Y/N.' the man sighed as he leaned on the table for support, still looking at her. 'What do you want for breakfast?'
'I've made sandwiches, just warm them up. I've also made you a bento, don't forget it when you go to work.' a yawn escaped her lips as she closed her eyes.
The back of her eyelids was filled with images of beasts trying to tear her apart, Aizawa screaming, bleeding on the ground, Hizashi and Kayama motionless beside him. The feeling of helplessness and fear was making her go numb as she felt the sudden urge to throw up. It was nothing unusual, the last 2 months have passed by with dreams like that, but today she felt even worse for some reason. Just as the woman was about to open her eyes, a warm hand landed on top of her head and made her jerk up.
'I'm not the best at comforting, you know it. But you should at least get it off your chest.' Aizawa's hoarse voice was closer now, making her open her eyes. He was bent over the table, his face almost in hers. His hand was on top of her head, as his other hand was used as a prop to keep him stable in that position.
' I know, but I just can't explain it. It's strange and realistic and scary.' her voice cracked somewhere in the middle of her words.
'What do you say about breakfast first? Then you can try to explain it.' Aizawa wasn't sure what he was doing but seeing her like that made him try to at least comfort her. And he suddenly felt powerless again. Maybe it was a mistake to come after all. Kayama would've done a better job with that.
'Yeah, that's a good idea.' her smile wasn't warm, reassuring or anything like that. It was tired and helpless.
During breakfast Aizawa was talking about his students and how he was going to expell someone from the class again. Yes, expelling students increased Y/N' s work but that wasn't going to stop him from doing his job properly. By the time they were done, it was time for him to go.
'Do you want me to give you a ride? I have nothing better to do anyway.' Y/N seemed better now, a bit distracted, still tired and still gloomy but there were some small improvements.
'If you feel like it. Going for a ride may be okay for you too.' he stood up, clearing the dishes and putting them in the sink. 'Last night I made you a list of things to do while I'm away, so you can distract yourself. I'm gonna put it on the fridge after I change.'
'And that's Aizawa-sensei for you, already giving me homework.' the woman giggled while standing up. 'Thanks tho, it's a big help. I need to stay distracted.'
With that they both went to change, Y/N put on some jeans and a f/c T-shirt, brushed her hair and teeth and slipped in her sneakers, while Aizawa put on his hero costume and did his own morning routine, adding the touch of cologne to it. Maybe it was too obvious to do so, but he felt like doing it.
'Oh, you put on cologne? Trying to impress someone?' the woman nudged him as they exited the apartment, annoying him like usual.
'Yeah, of course. I'm going partner hunting insted of going to work today.' Aizawa sighed and they went on their way.
After dropping him off to work, Y/N decided to go shopping for scented candles and herbs, to help her ease her condition faster. She's used everything she had the past four months and needed to stock up a bit. Then she went grocery shopping. Nothing interesting about a day off.
The first thing she did when she got home was look at the list on the fridge. Aizawa's messy writing has filled the sheet with various things.
To-do list:
*make yourself lunch
*make your bed
*clean the kitchen
*take a bath
*do the dishes
*do your laundry
*take a nap
*go for a walk (not with the car)
*read a book (psychology books are off-limits)
*write down your thoughts
*draw something if you feel like it
*watch a movie (no thrillers or horror)
*think of something for dinner
He'd clearly done research on how to deal with depressive states. It was realy kind of him and made her smile as she was staring at the list. Then her phone beeped.
Shota: Do the chores first, everything after that is to fill up your time.
Y/N: Yes, sensei.
The woman didn't even wait for his reply as she started doing her chores. It was really bothersome and she had no real intention of doing anything. She wanted to just lay down and stare at the wall, but she knew better than doing that.
After taking a bath with a few lavender candles lit there and a glass of red wine, Y/N decided that she needed a nap. Everything was ready after all, she even ate lunch and put the leftovers in the fridge. And last night's nightmare has taken a toll on her. Maybe she overdid herself with that to-do list, after that sleepless night. But it was a fact that Y/N felt slightly better now. Yet the woman was scared of sleeping again. What if there was another nightmare? What if she overslept and missed Aizawa and dinner? What if she couldn't fall asleep again?
While those thoughts were clouding her mind, she sat down to smoke a cigarette with a cup of chamomile tea. As soon as she took a drag, her phone rang. It was probably lunch break already.
'How are you now?' Aizawa sounded pretty annoyed over the phone.
'A bit better, thanks to your homework. I finished up my chores and took a bath.' Y/N smiled tiredly, leaning back in the couch.
'Did you have lunch?'
'Yup, I put some in the frigde for you too, you can take it to work tomorrow.'
'You don't have to look after me. But I gotta say that today's lunch was pretty good.' he was never good at praising people too. He lacked so many things and realized how important they were just now that it made him shrink literally.
'Oh, you had lunch already?'
'Yeah, lunch break is long over, Y/N. The kids have combat training with Kayama right now and I finished up some of my work so I called.'
'Did you work again while eating? You should take a break, you know.'
'We' re talking about you now. What are you gonna do now?' Aizawa was trying his best to not bring work at home now. But he felt like he was failing miserably.
'I was thinking about taking a nap, but I'm not sure. I might read a book instead.' Y/N tried to sound unbothered but she felt like she failed miserably.
'It's gonna be okay, try to sleep. I'm coming home soon enough, even if you have nightmares.' of course she failed miserably.
'Okay, I'm gonna try. But if I fail, you're making dinner.'
'Okay. Now go to sleep.'
And with that he closed the line.
Y/N shifted uncomfortably in her bed for a while. The clock was ticking and she didn't want to sleep in for Aizawa coming home. The woman was about to give up when another idea invaded her head.
She crept up in her oversized shirt to the guest room where Aizawa was staying for now. He wasn't there, yes, it was her apartment, yes, but it still felt like she was gonna be caught doing something terrible. The desk in the room was messy, Aizawa's laptop and paperwork on top of it. His suitcase was emptied and put beside the bed. His clothes from this morning were on the chair, the wardrobe wide open, having a few pieces of clothing there. There were some weapons on top of the nightstand and a book about dealing with depressive states. Taken from her shelf. The whole look of the room made her giggle, it was so typical for Aizawa. He hadn't even made his bed. His scent was already everywhere in the room. It made her throat dry and her chest tighten. As she laid down and covered herself with the covers she picked for him the other day, his scent engulfed her. It felt so calm, so reassuring, so needed. Yes, Y/N needed his presence to feel good.
After a while of shifting again, she started to drift off, finally. It was a bliss, the whole situation. Y/N was content with the way things were.
'Ugh, I wish it was that easy to make it go on like that forever.' a sigh escaped her lips and she buried her face in the pillow, taking in more of his scent, to calm down her nerves. And before she realized it, she was fast asleep.