the story of us III

"I was not happy anymore," Den answered and smiled bitterly, while Ly on her side smiled slightly, as if remembering something she want to forget. 

"Bakit hindi ka na masaya?"

Den sighed, and looked at Alyssa na tumingin din sa kanya, Ly nodded at her, telling her to go on, she sighed again, "kasi puro takot na," Den answered, "the break up was on me, really, I gave Ly every reason to break up with me, she didn't deserve what she went through and it was just the right choice to break up."

"Can you tell us more?"

"I... I had trust issues. Like, sobrang lala niya that time, I keep on questioning Alyssa, everything she did, everything she said, lagi akong nagdadalawang isip. It even came to the point I didn't want her to be out with her friends and even with our friends. From the start when I fell for her, 'yun yung takot ko kaya I didn't take the risk. Na baka maging ganon ako, obsessed, controlling, toxic, and I really became one. Ly had to put up with it for 2 years, she loved me that much, and to be honest, I hated her for breaking up with me kasi ganon ako, I wanted her to understand me and I did think she didn't kaya she broke up with me. 

And then I realized, lagi niya kong inintindi pero never ko siyang inintindi. Alyssa has always given me reassurance but I ignored all of it and kept on thinking she'll leave me for another girl just like what happened to my past relationship. Yeah, it was pretty rough. This girl beside me has the purest soul, I'm telling you," Den said. Alyssa stroked her back and smiled at her. Den smiled back.

"How are you right now, Den?"

"Never been better, I asked help from a professional and it really helped me to overcome it," Den answered, "and with help na rin of friends and family, including Ly."

"Did you two got back together?"

Ly nodded, "yeah, we did, but took us at least a year, right Den?" Den nodded, "she said she wanted to come back to me as a better person so she wouldn't hurt me again, sabi ko pa nga, I wanted to be with her through the healing process pero she insisted she wanted to do it alone so I let her. We barely talked for that one year, may kamustahan ganun, pero as in long talk wala, but I always told her na nandito lang ako and I'm not going anywhere just to remind her. 

Pero kahit ganon, I've witnessed her growth, and I am very proud of the woman she have become. It made me love her even more."

"Paano kayo nagkabalikan?"

"Birthday ni Ella no'n no, Ly?" Den asked Alyssa.

"Yup, and the first time nagpakita ka ulit sa aming lahat."

Den laughed, "yeah, it was a comeback for me. I didn't confirm na pupunta ako, so I surprised Ella kaso lahat sila nagulat. Ella even cried. Ah good times," Den said while laughing.

"Best birthday niya na daw yun," natatawang sabi ni Alyssa. 

"To answer your question, it kinda just happened," nakangiting sabi ni Den, "we were talking and I was saying sorry to her when she suddenly kissed me and tadah, we're back together."

"Nung una ko siyang nakita that night I wanted to kiss her na agad kaso ang daming tao so nagpigil muna ako," Ly added, "when I saw her again, all I wanted that time was to just hold her and come back to my life. Glad she did."

"Glad I did," Den said. 

"So... how was the married life?"

"PURE BLISS," Ly answered with enthusiasm, "waking up next to Den everyday is something I prayed for and I'm very thankful God answered that one. I mean, seeing this face first thing in the morning?" Ly asked and looked at Den, "I don't know, I won at life."

"Bolera ka talaga," Den said, "Ly has been a very loving wife, I couldn't ask for more. She's everything I need."

Ly smiled widely. 

"And until now, kinikilig pa rin talaga siya," Den said, teasing Alyssa na hindi matago ang kilig.

"You've been married for 5 years, what can you say sa mga newly weds pa lang?"

"There are days you're gonna hate each other so much, but that's normal, doesn't mean you have  to divorce," Den said and everyone laughed, "but it's true. Sa lahat nama ng relationship, hindi laging masaya, there are fights, and challenges, but the thing is, if you want something to work, you'll make it work. May mga pagkukulang kami but we make sure to make up for it. At the end of the day, it will all be about your choice. Choice to love her everyday and choice to stay."

Ly nodded in agreement, "and another tip, pag galit yung isa, wag mo sasabayan para walang sigawan at masakit na salita ang masabi, let it cool down first and then communicate. Communication is the key rin talaga."

"Glad Alyssa's a good listener," Den said. 

"You are, too, love," Alyssa told Den. 

"Was it worth it?"

Den and Ly looked at each other, with smile on their faces. 

"It is. Always."