Conversations in the Dark (1)

"Talk," Den said, breaking the silence. 

Alyssa looked at her, "what?"

"Talk," Den repeated. 

"About what?" 

"Anything, what you're thinking right now, your dreams, your fears, anything."

Ly smiled, "why should I trust someone I just met?"

"Hmm, di ba sabi nila it's easier to talk to someone who doesn't know you?" 

"May point," Ly answered, "let me think."

Alyssa looked at the girl she just met, gusto lang naman sana niyang magpahangin sa rooftop but she ended up talking to this girl when she doesn't even know her name. 

"I'm... when I'm in love, it's when I'm most insecure," Alyssa started, Den looked at her, waiting for the next thing she'll say, Alyssa avoided Den's eyes and smiled, "alam mo yung gusto mong maging maganda lang lagi yung tingin nila sayo kasi once na makita nila yung bad side mo, they'll not like it and eventually decide to leave you? That's how I feel. I grew up concealing everything, avoiding mistakes kasi ayokong madisappoint sakin yung mga taong mahal ko, that's what I fear the most kasi, them seeing me as a disappointment. Kaya siguro nadadala ko when I'm romantically involved with someone, I can't be myself kasi alam kong pag naging ako ako, hindi nila magugustuhan yun. You'll probably say ako lang yung nag-iisip no'n and if that person really love me, tatanggapin niya lahat sa'kin,,, pero alam mo, I never got that assurance from someone. To be loved as someone who you really are and give you that safe place to be you, I never really had that. I wish I could someday," Ly said, managing to smile, fighting the tears. 

Den sighed, "don't worry, this is a safe place and you can be who you want to be," she said and smiled at Alyssa which Alyssa smiled back.

"Thinking of it, I tend to give everything thinking they'll love me more, pero hindi pala ganon yun no? Minsan hindi nila kayang tumbasan ng pagmamahal yung effort na binibigay mo and that's one of the things you should accept."

"After all, how they treat you shows how they feel for you," Den added. 

"Yeah," Ly agreed, "ikaw? Talk."

"Hmm, gusto ko ng ramen," Den said and that made Alyssa laugh.

"Nahiya yung drama ko ha?"

Den chuckled, "sorry, cravings. Hmm, what should I tell you na hindi mo magagamit against sa'kin?" biro ni Den, "kidding."

Ramdam ni Alyssa yung hold back ng kausap niya. And she understands. 

"It's okay, if you can't tell me anything, I understand," Alyssa reassured Den.

Den smiled, "kung sino pa 'yung hindi nabibigyan, siya pa yung nagbibigay," Den suddenly said.

"What?" Ly asked, confused.

"You just gave me a reassurance," Den answered, "ganon talaga 'no? Minsan we tend to give the things we lack of, kasi alam natin yung pakiramdam na hindi sa'tin nabibigay 'yon. Alam mo, I usually find the most generous people from those who had nothing, like as in nothing, kasi alam nila yung pakiramdam ng wala and if they can do something to save someone from it, they'll do it. Human by nature are generous and kind-hearted, may iba lang talaga na naliligaw ng landas. I hope they can find their way back soon."

Alyssa smiled, "do you believe that kindness has a ripple effect?"

"Yup," Den answered, "I experienced it firsthand, I saw someone helped an elderly woman cross the street before, and I did the same thing remembering what I saw. If everyone can be kind, I'm sure mas maayos 'tong mundo. I get really pissed at people na super mean, like dude, what's your problem? Fix that attitude of yours."

"Sarap tirisin no?" Alyssa joked.

"At ibato sa malayo," Den added, and they both laughed. 

"What brings you here at this hour?" Alyssa asked.

"Gusto ko lang sana mag-muni muni kaso nakita kita dito," Den answered and laughed at Alyssa's reaction, "kidding. Ikaw, ba't ka nandito?"

"Hindi ako makatulog. Magpapahangin lang sana ako kaso nakita kita dito," Alyssa answered, Den giggled. 

"I think we should go back to our units," Den said, looking at the time. 

"Yeah, do you have work later?" 

"Yup, and I'm sure ikaw din?"

Ly nodded, "we should go."

Magkaiba sila ng elevator na sasakyan kaya they need to go separate ways. 

"Wait, what's your name?" Alyssa asked. 

Den looked at her, saktong bumukas yung elevator sa harap nito, Den smiled at pumasok sa elevator, "see you when I see you."

And the elevator closed leaving Alyssa smiling, "yeah, see you when I see you."