ur day

"Happy Birthday, Den!" Den received a message from one of her friends, it's about 11pm, her day's gonna end in an hour.

She sighed, sent a reply and locked her phone. She received tons of greetings and she's happy her friends remembered what day it is. Her bestfriend, who can't celebrate with her, got her a cake delivered.

She celebrated her day very simple, umuwi siya to her parents' house and had lunch, she went sa mall to buy herself a gift and she went home to her condo.

And like she always do, tuwing birthday niya, she always end it sitting at the balcony with a can of beer on her hand, waiting for the day to end.

Luckily, the rain already stopped. She quietly sat and stared at nothing.

Hindi na niya mabilang kung ilang beses na siyang nagbuntong hininga.

"Having a bad day?" She heard a woman. Napatingin siya sa right niya and there's a woman standing on the balcony beside hers. Probably her new neighbor.

Den just smiled, "not really."

"Hmm, I've heard you sigh for like 10 times already..."

"Sorry, I zoned out," Den apologized.

"Oh, no need to apologize. I'm just curious. Anyway, I'm Alyssa. I just got here yesterday."

"Yeah, Nick said he'll be moving out. Nice to meet you, Alyssa."

"And you are?" Alyssa asked.

"My bad. Dennise," Den told Ly her name.

"Nice to meet you, Dennise," Ly said. And they fell in silence.

Na-cut lang when Den's phone started to ring, Ella's calling her thru FT.

"Hey Ells!" Den greeted her bestfriend.

"Den! Hey, I'm calling before your day ends, kamusta?" Ella asked.

Dennise smiled, "it's a good day. We had lunch kila Mama and bought myself a gift. Thank you ulit sa cake, by the way."

"You sure you're happy?"

"I am. Why?"

Ella just looked at Den for a while before answering, "Happy Birthday, Denden," she greeted.

"Thank you pots, you're going to sleep na?"

"Yup. Love you! Tanda mo na!"

Den rolled her eyes, "goodnight Ells, love you more," and the call ended.

"Your birthday?" Alyssa asked na tahimik lang nakinig.

"Yeah," Den answered.

"Happy Birthday," Ly greeted her.

Den smiled, "thank you."

"Cheers??" Ly asked, raising her bottle of beer.

"Cheers!" Den replied.

"For someone who's birthday today, you're a bit sad," Ly said out of nowhere, breaking the silence.

"Hmm... Let's just say, I don't actually like days like this."

"Why?" Ly asked, "if you don't mind."

Den stared at the long line of vehicles on both lanes, stuck in traffic even if it's almost midnight.

"I don't know,,, but days like this, I feel most alone."

"No one remembered your day except the one who called you and your fam?" Ly asked.

"A lot did...they greeted me actually. And I'm thankful, ewan ko rin. It's just me."

"Birthday blues?"

Den smiled, "I guess that's what they call it."

"Hmmm, do you mind?" Ly asked. Napatingin sa kanya si Den.

"What?"

"Uh, urong ka, I'm going there."

"Huh? How?" Den asked.

"Gonna jump," Ly asked.

"WHA-" before Den could even finish the word, nakatalon na si Alyssa and perfectly landed in front of her.

Alyssa smiled, "woops, good thing I didn't die."

"YOU'RE CRAZY!" Den shouted, halos atakihin siya sa puso because of what Alyssa did.

"I get that a lot," Alyssa said while laughing. She sat on the empty chair beside Den's, "10 more minutes before your day ends. Anything you want? Basta yung madali ha, I'm gonna get it or do it for you. I hate seeing people sad on their birthdays."

Den giggled, she opened another can of beer and gave it to Alyssa, "just keep me company."

"Very easy," Ly replied and they laughed.

Ly told Den why she moved in the next unit and some of her embarassing moments just to make Den laugh.

"Den? Wait, I can call you that naman no?" Ly asked.

"Sure," Den answered.

"Great. I know it's too early to say this but let's do this again on your birthday next year, yeah?" Ly asked.

"How sure are you things are still the same?"

Ly shrugged, "that I can't tell, but I still want to do this again with you."

"Let's see, then."

"I'll take that as a yes. 11:59, Happy Birthday to you, my new friend," Ly said that made Den chuckle.

"Thank you, Alyssa," Den said.

And for the first time, Den ended her day with a smile.