Chapter 3: Unexpected Attack

Elevena sat back down in her seat, trying to calm her pounding heart. 

"At your rate of speed versus theirs, they will overtake our vehicle..." Seth spoke steadily. No matter how calm and collected he sounded, she could still detect a trace of fear that seeped through.

Her breaths were short and she tried to elongate it, focusing on engaging her five senses in order to suppress the panic attack that was rising within her. 

"Relax kid, I'm just gonna let them pass." Her uncle cut him off. 

Elevena saw the twins exchange a panicked look in the rear-view mirror. She watched in growing trepidation as Jack slowed the car.

"Open road people! It's all yours." He yelled out the window, waving them forward when they didn't pass them. 

Craning her neck to see, she shrunk back in her seat as one of the black SUV's passed them. The windows were tinted, and even though she couldn't see who was inside, that didn't stop the shiver of fear that shot down her spine. 

Jack was the only one out of all of them who didn't look the least bit worried.

Placing an arm casually on the back of her seat, he declared confidently, "What did I tell you, nobody's following us. I'm the king of these roads—"

"Jack Bruno!!!" Sara yelled out in alarm. 

The SUV that had passed had spun around, trying to stop them. The cab lurched forward as another blank vehicle crashed into them from behind. Flooring it, Jack used the momentum to spin around and maneuvered it expertly around the first one. Tires squealed and she could smell the burnt rubber. 

She was panting heavily, eyes wide with raw fear.

"Elevena!! Get in back!!" Jack shouted at her.

Hastily, she unbuckled her seat belt and reached for the space between Seth and Sara. But her left leg got caught underneath her seat and she bit back a cry of pain as she felt it twist unnaturally.

"I said I was out, and I meant it!!" Jack yelled, knuckles turning white on the steering wheel. His eyes were more alert than she had ever seen before, and his gaze was flickering from the three SUV's that were behind them to the empty road extending in front of them.

"Who is Mr. Wolfe, Jack Bruno?!" Sara's question caught Elevena and her uncle completely off guard, so much so, that she paused her struggle to free her leg.

How did she know about him?

"How do you know about that..." Jack echoed her thoughts, bewildered.

His voice faded as the SUV rammed into them, the momentum finally freeing her trapped leg, and tossing her forward like a rag doll. 

Elevena yelped, bracing her body for the impact that would never come. Instead, she felt strong arms wrap around her waist, stopping her fall into the seat. 

Her eyes connected with his only for a split second before Jack yelled hurriedly at them, "Get down, NOW!!!"

Unbuckling his seat belt, Seth quickly placed her in his previous seat, and strapped her in securely before ducking his head. It all happened so fast that it left her head spinning, but she followed suit as soon as she got her bearings

Her heart was racing. She felt the crash into the side of the cab and realized what they were doing: they were boxing them in. 

They would have no way to escape.