Chapter 17: Return of Several Enemies

Filtering back into the convention with the crowd, Elevena twisted around nervously, looking over her shoulder every so often.

"Vena, what's wrong? You're scaring me here." Jack joked, but his eyes were serious.

She laughed, but it sounded hollow. "Ah... Sorry. I'm alright, Uncle Jack. Really."

He glanced up at the teen boy beside her, and wasn't surprised to see him staring back. His niece's gaze flickered down and Jack shot him a pointed look over her head. Seth nodded understandingly, placing a hand on his mate's lower back to guide her and keep her near.

Jack always believed he was going to be the one to keep his little girl from getting hurt, but now, he was glad she had someone who genuinely cared for her by her side to help the headstrong girl from getting into trouble.

"Thank you, all of you." Sara thanked them each gratefully from up ahead. "Seth and I understand that you do not have to go forward with us, and yet you choose to."

Elevena offered her a reassuring smile, reaching out to her with her mind.

"You're welcome." Alex smiled at her easily, unaware of the exchange happening between the girls telepathically. "And don't worry. We're going to get you home, I promise."

Turning towards Jack, she told him, "I'm going to go grab my stuff. Let's meet upstairs in the convention, at my booth, then we get your cab."

Jack halted her before she could leave, lowering his voice so that it didn't carry. "Alex, uh, listen. I can't let you come with us."

"What?" The disbelief was priceless.

He shook his head, trying to get her to stay with him and hear him out. "If half of what Harlan says is true, it's way too dangerous. They got in my cab, they're my problem."

"Um, no. I have spent my entire life preparing for this moment." Alex pushed back stubbornly. "Now, when I have two actual aliens in need of my help, you want me to walk away? It's not gonna happen."

Elevena smiled slightly as she heard the strength in her voice. Sara nudged her and the girls collapsed into a fit of giggles while Seth just shook his head in amusement. The adults either couldn't hear them or chose to ignore the mischievous teens.

"Man up, soldier. I'm in." The older woman tilted her head up, eye to eye with Jack, a hint of a smile playing on her lips. "Just lay low until we meet up."

"Sure. Great. Lay low. Easy." He ground out, clearing his throat as she sauntered away from him towards the escalators. "How hard could that be?"

Clasping her hands behind her back, Elevena waddled dramatically over to her uncle, who barked out a laugh at how funny she was walking.

"Sooooooo," She drew out, sticking her face in his intrusively. "When's the wedding?"

Jack sputtered at her audacity and Sara stifled a giggle.

"Elevena..."

His warning went unheeded as his niece smirked up at him. Turning his head away from her, Jack tried not to smile at her insulted but playful scoff. Sara hung back after his niece found her way back to Seth, and tugged on his sleeve to get his attention.

"She thinks you're very handsome."

Jack's eyes widened in surprise as he saw Alex turn around, gaze locking with his from a distance. "Really?"

Sara took notice, smiling secretly. "And smarter than you think you are."

This time, he couldn't stop the smile that spread across his face. "Huh..."