Chapter 16: Harlan

"Something is wrong."

Elevena refused to look at Seth and he was growing more and more anxious by the minute. Sara had left them alone to sort out their issues, opting to walk ahead with Jack and Alex as they weaved their way through the crowds. The blonde teen didn't have to read their minds to know that they needed to work this out before they were going to focus on the mission at hand.

"Elevena, please." He stopped her, tilting her chin up so that she had to meet his concerned gaze. "Talk to me."

She mindlessly collided into his solid chest. Her eyes were glazed over as he desperately searched them and he dropped his hand down from her face in defeat. He had no idea what to do if she wouldn't open up to him.

As he started to lead her after his sister and the two adults, a slight pressure on his left hand halted him.

He turned back to her, scanning over her frantically, worried he missed something. "Elevena?"

"Is there something that I can do in order to remedy the atmosphere on your planet? If I have some control over air, can't my abilities somehow make it breathable again?" She asked him quietly.

It didn't take a genius to catch the flash of panic that crossed her mate's expression.

She was taken aback by the growl that erupted from the back of his throat, eyes going wide.

"Don't ever suggest that again." Seth seethed, knuckles going white as he clenched the hand that wasn't holding hers into a tight fist.

Now she was really suspicious.

"I knew it!! Why don't you want me there?!" Elevena accused, pointing a finger at him. "Seth, why in the world won't you let me help— Mmph!!"

He slapped a hand over her mouth and nearly dragged her over to a secluded corner.

Batting his hand away from her face, she opened her mouth to angrily shout at him, but all her fire diminished when she saw the unhinged look in his eye.

"Seth... What's going on?"

Everything he had tried to shield her from came back full force and he braced himself over her, as if the physical movement could protect her from what was to come.

Elevena squeaked in surprise when his head fell onto her shoulder. "S-Seth!!"

He didn't get up and she sighed, bringing up a hand to tentatively comb through his platinum blonde hair. Her mind raced with why he didn't tell her this before, but gave him a moment to ready himself.

He exhaled. This wasn't the time or place he wanted to tell her, but knowing his mate, she would go looking for answers if he wasn't the one to give them to her.

"I told you before that your people were hunted to extinction by my people." After receiving a nod of confirmation that she remembered it, he continued. "It was because of the very reason you suggest."

"Wait, so..." Elevena trailed off fearfully. "It's because they knew we could help them with their poisoned atmosphere?"

"Not knew. Thought." Seth's eyes darkened. "They believed that the Elementalists possessed the power to reverse the damage that had been done, but once one failed, all they did was capture another one."

She was speechless, grasping for words to say, but came up empty.

He breathed heavily, jaw locking as his icy eyes bore into hers. "If they find out about you, they'll take you away from me and imprison you. They must never know about your powers, do you understand me?"