Chapter 12: Government Officials and Dogs

"You know," Jack started as Seth and Elevena sat down, resting his elbows on the table. "I think it would be—"

"Best for everyone if Seth and I found another ride?" Sara finished, expression unreadable.

Elevena giggled, used to her reading minds by now. Her mate hadn't let go on her hand, and it was dangling in between them. She thought it would feel weird, but oddly enough, she liked having the reminder that he was right there.

He stared blankly at her. "Seriously, you've got to stop doing that."

Sara's eyes were desperate. "Jack Bruno, it is understandable that you are scared and confused, considering all that has occurred."

He scoffed, trying to play it off. "I'm not scared." Then, he corrected himself as three varying degrees of disbelieving looks were thrown his way. "Just... a little confused."

Elevena raised an eyebrow pointedly at him and he coughed on air, clearing his throat a couple of times.

"But, the bottom line is, you guys need someone from NASA or the Air Force, not me."

Sara shook her head in fear, hair swaying as her eyes widened. "If you abandon us now, our mission will be in serious jeopardy."

He sighed heavily, feeling like the weight of the world was on his shoulders. "Look, I'm just trying to be honest here, okay? I'm the wrong guy."

"A wise human once said, 'You are what you think you are.'" Sara spoke with eloquence, hoping to inspire him.

"Yeah? Well, why don't you find that guy and ask him?" Jack exclaimed, throwing his hands up in the air.

"It was the Buddha." Seth lifted an eyebrow at him challengingly. "He is unavailable."

Elevena snickered at his expressionless tone, wondering how he managed to sound so sassy while remaining impassive, and he sent her a small smile at her humor streak.

"How is it that beings on your planet can be so large in form, yet feel so small inside?" Sara wondered out loud softly, but didn't judge him for feeling that way.

She had taken a look inside his mind and her heart broke over what he had been through, what he had seen first-hand and been helpless to do anything about it. He was scared of it not being enough for them, he was afraid that no matter what he did, he wouldn't be able to protect him.

Taking his hand, she rubbed her thumb over the back of it comfortingly. "Maybe you need help, too, Jack Bruno."

The harsh sound of his phone ringing made them all jump in alarm and prevented Jack from finishing their conversation. Elevena's face fell as his expression changed when he picked it up. She knew that look.

Immediately, she leaped to her feet, the twins following her lead without question.

Jack stood up, gesturing for them to stay quiet and keep hidden while he walked towards the window at the front of the restaurant, but not before his niece saw the subtle horror in the depths of his eyes as he heard who was on the other line.

They had been discovered.

Seth grew increasingly nervous as the seconds ticked by, drawing his mate to his side protectively.

What's going on? His icy gaze flickered warily around the establishment, as Sara huddled closer to him.

She grimaced lightly, undoubtedly listening in on the mysterious phone call. I am not sure...

Her twin brother's mouth drew back in a snarl as he caught sight of the men in black suits making their way to the building. They were the same ones from the highway.