Episode 1

I first met Sweeney during a sport’s day at Jomo Kenyatta Sports Ground. By then, I was a second year student at Maseno University. When I saw the beautiful young lady, dressed in a red blouse, black tight and medium skirt, red high heels and a black bowtie, I decided to move closer to her. She was seated alone, with her big sexy eyes glued to the field. She was wearing a pink watch, and on her left hand side seat, was a small black purse.

I can remember very well that on that day, I was putting on my suit; white shirt and a black trouser, with a red neck tie and black shoes. On my left hand was a watch that was black as well. I was carrying my Joymax7 Tecno tablet, that actually cost me 21,000/=.

“I really wished this girl could be mine.” I thought to myself, trying to believe that I was smart enough to win her heart. I was single – just broke up with my ex-girlfriend two weeks ago – and I never wanted a campus girl. At the back of my mind, I wanted a lady who was still in high school, forms 2, 3 or worst, 4. “But lemme test if the level of this water fits me.” I left for her.

On reaching, I saw an unoccupied seat on her right hand. On the left, was her black purse. I wanted her to see me well, so I decided to come from her front side. “Hi?” I started the conversation with a low tone anyway – obviously I was somehow afraid. “Hi too. How are you?” She responded and posed. Just from the first statement from Sweeney, the fear I had escaped to her sitting neighbors. “This must be a very welcoming lady!” I thought to myself. “Am fine…” I wanted to ask further that “how about you?” but I remember there was a meme saying that “if you have money, you can as well ask a lady ‘how about you’.” I quickly remembered I had 2,300/= in my MPESA account. But actually that was not my money…that was meant to pay for my rent. In my pocket, I had 570/=. It was 600/= but I used 30 Bob a fare from Nyamasaria to the sport’s ground.

I wanted to test if the meme was true. But of course I had money – even if that will be the case, I can forgo rent and win her heart. I was very determined to make her my love. By the way, she was much better than my ex-girlfriend. “… how about you my dear?” I posed as well. “Am good too. Karibu kiti” She immediately took the purse from the seat, and carefully placed it on her brown, sexy thighs. “Thank you.” I responded while sitting.

At this time, I thought I could start by asking her how the game was and if she was enjoying the match. As for Luos, they could always start off the conversation by asking if it’s raining in their village, if they had good harvest, if all are doing well back at home… But I thought I had gone through some education so I couldn’t ruin my confidence with such questions. “Am Oscar, from Nyamasaria. How about you?” I had to break that silence again. She smiled at me and said, “Am Sweeney from Railways. It’s just a walking distance from here to our place.”

“Wow, nice name – Sweeney. Have never met a lady with such a name before. You look pretty awesome.” I said while smiling.

“Sure! Haha! Thanks Oscar. You also have a nice name and you’re very smart by the way.”

“Thanks dear. Am grateful. And I really feel I should talk to you more. Would you allow me please, if you won’t mind?”

“Yes, no problem with that. Feel free.”

“Awesome! By the way, I like the way you are. Do you still study?”

“Thanks. Yes. Am about to join campus.”

Are my hopes lost? I wanted someone who’s still in high school, but now my choice is failing me. But I won’t give up. I took some times thinking about this. She could see a surprising face that has been somehow – disappointed.

“Wow! Congratulations! That’s very nice to hear.” I said trying to hide my disappointment inside my smiles. It was in the month of March. She was still waiting for her placement by the KUCCUPS. “And where would you like to get placed? Which University and course?” I asked.

“I’m really in need of Kenyatta University, with Education course. Either Science – Chemistry and Mathematics, or Arts, Kiswahili and History.”

I was a lover of Chemistry and Mathematics back in high school, so I couldn’t hide my joy when she talked of that. At this time, I felt like telling her my University and course, but again, I thought that if she was really interested, she could ask me about it. But just before my thoughts could be done, she asked, “How about you?”

“Am in my second year, in Maseno University. Pursuing Political Science.”

“Wow! Congrats! It fits you by the way. I love…” Her phone rings and she discontinued her statement, “my mum is calling. We came with her in town and is like she wants to leave. Lemme talk with her.” She said.

But what a disappointment! The statement she was yet to complete was very important. She could mean “I love you” and that’s what I really wanted to hear from her. But the phonecall has destroyed that. I felt sad! “Sawa, nishatoka Niko kwa gate ya sports ground naja mom…” I overheard her saying this on phone. My heart froze. It was too early. I had not even seen much of Sweeney.

“Osy (short form of my name, Oscar), my mum wants me right at the road now. Am sorry I have to leave,” she said.