Episode 30

"Lastly, to all this year's KCSE candidates, you can now get your results via SMS by sending your full index number to 25004. Thank you." The Minister for Education said during the live coverage.

"Oscar...I can't send it...just do it for me please." Peter gave me his index number and left to sleep on his belly outside. Mom had gone to town to do some shopping for Christmas.

Two minutes after I had sent the text, I received the reply back. "ALURU PETER CLERKSON INDEX: 42572208075 MEAN GRADE A- AGP ENG B+ KIS A- MAT A BIO A CHE A- PHY B+ HIS A GEO A-". I never bothered to look at the grades per subject. By seeing the mean Grade, I was already done. I tried to cover my joy with a fake serious face as I was going to where Peter was lying.

"Bro, am sorry for you." I said to Peter.

"What's up Oscar?" Peter asked and I could see some tears forming in his eyes. They were almost dropping.

"You've missed your target slightly, but don't worry... you're still..." Peter broke into tears and got down bitterly. I never completed my statement. I bent down and showed him the text. "Peter, please get up and congratulations my little bro!"

Peter viewed the text and jumped as if he could reach the sky. He tore his shirt and he was running to his study room. "Is this boy running mad?" I was left with the thoughts, seeing his reactions. "Anyway, it's his time. He has to celebrate." I said to myself. I remembered I also celebrated my B- almost the same way.

The joy we both had couldn't allow us to wait for mom to come back before she could be aware of such good news. I called to inform her.

"Hello mom?"

"Yes Oscar."

"Peter has scored A-!" I said. I didn't know where she was, but she ululated loudly and she hanged up the call.

Party after Party! Yes, they do say. It was the time to celebrate Peter's Day before Christmas Day! Mom did the shopping for the two. We called a few neighbours, alongside Mama Akinyi who had helped us to get the CDF bursaries, to celebrate that achievement. I also informed Betty of Peter's results. "Wow! My brother-in-law is such a bright boy! Congratulations to him!" Betty said.

I went to where Peter was and shared with him the congratulatory message from Betty.

"Peter... Betty has congratulated you for the impressive results!" I said.

"Thank you. How is she doing by the way?"

"She's doing very well." I answered.

"I need to talk to her. I need her back." Peter said. This was the beginning of another story, leave alone the Peter's Day celebrations.

"Haha, you're too late bro. Opportunity knocks at your door once, not twice or thrice!"

"What do you mean by that? People do break up even for three years and still reunite."

"For the long time married couples, it can happen. But for the relationship, wait and see that in the Nollywood movies. I mean she had moved on and I even know her boyfriend. She introduced him to me." I said.

"Where is he from?"

"Mmmm... Eldoret." I said.

"Okay. That's better. I thought from Kisumu. That could be much heartbreaking."

"How, and yet you had left her? You should leave and forget."

"Have you ever broken up with your girl or wife then you see her with your friend? Or if she was your wife then you start seeing her married to someone you know? Too terrible!" Peter said.