01

AUTHOR'S NOTE:
hi !! this is the sequel to "talking to the moon" !! if you haven't read that book yet, you might be confused !!

==========

"oh come on you can't seriously think that." ashton laughs at michael.

we've been hanging out a lot more recently since i got with calum. our relationship has been rocky but it's been worth it.

"i'm serious. i think-" we all laugh as michael tries to explain himself as the door opens. a tall, blue-eyed girl walks in and my heart skips a few beats.

she's stunning.

"who is that?" i ask, silence washing over the room. i scan her appearance as michael speaks.

"oh that's-" he tries to explain when luke cuts him off.

"michael, shut up." luke whispers, loud enough for me to hear.

"i just wanted to-" michael tries to defend himself when i turn to them, raising my voice.

"who is that?" i wonder why they're acting like her and i being in the same room is a big deal.

ashton scratches the back of his neck nervously as luke and michael stare at me, fear on their faces.

"that's heather..." michael's voice is soft, calming. "calum's soulmate."

the words hurt me. i knew that i wasn't his soulmate but i didn't expect her to be drop dead gorgeous.

i glance over to calum, who is on the other side of the room, only to see that his eyes are locked on her.

"she's got him mesmerized." i mumble, looking at michael who reaches to place his hand on my shoulder.

he seems genuinely sorry while the other two are avoiding my gaze. i wouldn't care about her if they would just look at me, but they're acting suspicious.

i feel my stomach drop as she sits beside calum, smiling at me.

i shouldn't care because that seat was open, but so were a lot of others.

there's a space between luke and ashton. there's a seat by the door. there's even a spot on the floor where we have a few pillows for when one of us is tired.

she could have sat anywhere, but she sat there.

no, it's just a seat maryah. deal with it. you and calum are dating and that's enough. you don't have to be uncomfortable with other girls sitting near him.

that's just the thing, isn't it? i'm never upset with other girls being near him. he has a whole fanbase of girls that would kill for him to breathe on them, but i know that they respect us being together.

it's the fact that luke tried to stop michael from telling me. then luke and ashton avoided my gaze.

now calum is acting as if i don't exist.

•••

"i don't get it." i shake my head, pulling at the string on my pants.

it's just me and michael in the room now. luke and ashton left, and calum walked heather out to her car.

"get what?" michael asks, sitting beside me.

"why would he ever kiss me?" i turn to him, my heart in my throat.

"maryah..." he reaches for my arm and i pull away from him.

"i'm not even half as pretty..." i shake my head and he sighs.

"you're stunning. please don't put yourself down." his words are gentle, as usual. he's always been the one to tell me the truth but somehow be the nicest.

he's my best friend. besides madison, of course.

right before i can respond, heather walks back into the room, catching us by surprise. she's wearing calum's jacket and it's the perfect size on her.

"she had fun so she wanted to stay a little bit longer, if that's alright?" calum places his hand on her waist.

"you gave her your sweater." i smile, holding back tears, trying to smile.

"it's just polyester." claum shrugs, sitting down as she does the same.

"but you like her better." i whisper, quiet enough for them not to hear but loud enough for michael to hear.

"maryah." michael reaches to comfort me when i stand up, leaving the room.

i walk out to the hallway and my head begins to spin.

i shouldn't be this upset. they're just soulmates. calum doesn't get upset about harry. then again, harry and i haven't talked since i turned eighteen.

"maryah are you okay?" michael walks up to me, reaching out his arms to catch me as i fall. "hey, sit down."

he pulls me to the ground and i back away from him.

"he would never hurt me." i shake my head, trying to reassure myself.

"what? who?" michael asks, scared of the sight he's witnessing.

"calum would never hurt me. they're just soulmates. nothing else." i pulls my knees up to my chest and rock myself back and forth.

"yeah." michael whispers, crawling over to me and pulling me into his arms. "it's okay. i've got you."

"i wish i were heather." i cry.

"are you serious?" he pulls away from me and i can't move. i'm frozen.

heart break hurts. it hurts bad.