Epilogue

A/N: someone asked for Max's POV of the Breakup which I thought was fair since I made you guys love him. Soo, here you go <3

Maddox POV

I paced my living room for about the thousandth time. Even Dixie decided not to follow me anymore at this point. My footprints were beginning to be etched into the wood flooring but I didn't care.

My chest was throbbing and cracking at its core. My mind was racing a mile a minute with self hatred and loath.

"Fucking finally." I yanked the front door open for Sam before walking off into the living room again.

My phone clung to my hand as if another extremity, just waiting for her to call me back.

She had to call me back. I needed her to.

"You look like you haven't slept in days." Sam looked me up and down, still dressed in his paramedic uniform. "Correction, weeks."

I didn't doubt it. The bags under my eyes had packed and left me the same day Ellie did.

I ran a finger through my hair, pulling at the ends with frustration. "I haven't." I groaned.

Sam uneasily walked around the room, eyeing the punch marks I made into the hall walls. "You alright man?" His voice soft and steady as if talking to a mental patient on the verge of breaking.

I wasn't far from that.

I shook my head vigorously until I was a sobbing mess on the couch. "I fucked up, Sam. I'm such a overreacting fucking idiot. Why would I let her go?"

"Oh fuck, Max." Sam groaned with sorrow and annoyance, sitting beside me in the couch.

"I thought our relationship was fucking shit up for me. I couldn't keep my mind off of her. Wondering if she was with other guys or if she was okay. I was being fucking selfish. God, have you talked to her?"

Sam exhaled as I unraveled beside him. "She calls me every night, Max. And I could tell you that she's not okay with you two being apart. It hurts her too. Of course she misses you, you guys spent almost every day together before she left. But she's happy at the same time."

I looked to him with my reddened eyes. "How can she be happy so far away from me when I could barely function?"

"Because she's not forcing herself into schooling that she hated in the first place. She's out there, working and doing something she's passionate about. Just like you're trying to do. And for some reason, she trusts you."

I rubbed my tired face with a sigh. "I'm moving to New York next week. I'm going to ask her to come with me if she ever calls back."

Sam tensed beside me. "I wouldn't do that. Not after you hurt her. Just let her grow, Max. She's happy out there, even if she won't admit it because of what's going on between you two."

"I can't do this long distance shit." I mumbled into my now soaking wet hands.

"Why not? She's committed to you, why can't you just accept that?" Sam snapped.

"I-I need her love. Here. I need her touch. I need to hold her, love her. Look into her beautiful eyes face to face, not through some blurry phone connection. I need the physicalness. Not just sex. I just, I can't go day to day without her kissing me on the cheek. Or hearing her grumpy voice in the morning. I just can't do it. It kills me on the inside every time I wake up and my bed is empty. I hate eating alone now. Fuck, I haven't even watched TV since she isn't curled up next to me."

"Max, you need to let her go then. If she drops what she has out there, she'll never forgive you. Then what? You guys eventually break up."

I stood to my feet again, forcing my shaking body to begin its tedious motions on the flooring.