Chapter 20

"Ok, see you soon, bye!" Selina hung up the call, turning her attention to her plate of salad.

"Was that your dad?" Matei asked.

Selina nodded. "I still can't believe they let me come here. Thought I was grounded for eternity after...y'know. Still, it beats transforming in a basement."

The two were sat in the hotel restaurant, having arrived in Norway a few hours earlier. Matei, who preferred not to eat before transformation, was sipping on a black coffee. From the window, they could see the wild winter forests which would soon become their free territory for the night.

"Woah, are you sure you got enough there, TJ?" Matei asked his friend, who had just arrived with a plate taller than it was wide.

"What? It's free!"

"That doesn't mean you need to eat the entire menu. You're going to spend the entire evening finding somewhere to do your business."

"I'll be fine. We've got ages before moonrise..." TJ said, tucking into his banquet.

"Actually, Imara said to meet her for transformation in..." Matei glanced at his watch, "30 minutes. So eat up."

"What? But it's only 3!"

"We're in Norway in November, TJ. They only have a few hours of daylight at the moment." Selina explained.

"Have you been researching?" TJ scoffed.

"Only a bit." Selina insisted, "Besides if we do end up working at Segolia, this is going to become our normal. Think about it: private jets to Norway every month, free meals...not many jobs come with those kinds of perks, especially not for wolfbloods."

"Exactly, plus I'd look great in a black suit..." TJ said, glancing over at the Segolia employees on another table, dressed head to toe in smart black attire.

"Have you heard from Jana?" Selina asked Matei.

"She texted after we got to the hotel. She says Ceri's on the mend, so they should be back next week."

"Have you talked to her about working at Segolia?"

"Not yet, I tell her when she gets back." Matei answered, "Anyway, I still don't know if I want a job at Segolia."

"What? Why not?" TJ asked.

Matei shrugged defensively. "It's just so corporate. I mean, what would I even do? I'm not a scientist or an athlete." He said, gesturing to his two friends.

"Ask Imara. We can ask her together, tomorrow." Selina offered.

"If it helps, I think you'd look good in a black suit too," TJ added through mouthfuls of food.

"Thank you, TJ. Now I definitely feel inclined to apply." Matei replied sarcastically, earning a giggle from Selina.

------------------------------------

In Stoneybridge, the wolfbloods were heading to the moors for transformation. Dr Whitewood had stayed behind; as far as Jana understood it was because she wanted to run some tests on some of the wild remedies they had used on Ceri.

The group kept heading down a wide track, away from the house and into the wilderness. Ceri and Rhydian were quite some distance behind; although she was almost fully recovered, Ceri was not used to being outside the comfort of the cottage.

After a while, they reached the end of the track and were faced with an overgrown field which stretched for what seemed like miles. A hand-painted sign on the gate read KEEP OUT OF FIELD ON FULL MOONS.

Will we be safe here? We're still quite close to the village." Maddy asked, pointing to the streetlights beyond the trees.

"Don't worry, it's perfectly safe. Thanks to Liam." Gerwyn answered, leaping over the gate with ease.

"Liam?" Maddy asked in astonishment.

Gerwyn nodded. "After the secret came out, Liam and his family persuaded the local authorities that your mother and I weren't a threat. They extended their farm buy purchasing three acres of the moors and making it private property. Now, we can transform here in peace and the locals don't have to worry about wolves roaming the residential streets."

The others joined Gerwyn in the field as the sky turned a musky indigo. The soft breeze meant the air was cool and crisp, and each of the wolfbloods began to feel a rush of energy through their veins.

Ceri extended her arm out to Jana, who was trying to find a signal on her phone.

"It's frightening how quickly you've become attached to that thing," Ceri said with a smile, "not too long ago you were learning about flushing toilets".

Jana smiled, a little embarrassed that she had been caught on her phone yet again. She pocketed the device and held onto Ceri's arm, acting as a crutch for the older wolfblood.

"Walk with me," Ceri instructed, guiding Jana down a footpath which ran along the perimeter of the field.

"Are you sure? You don't want to tire yourself out before the moon's up." Jana persisted.

"Please, it will do me good. I've been stuck inside for far too long." Ceri replied, taking small but confident steps alongside her alpha.

The two walked in silence for a bit, slowly drawing away from the others. Once they were a suitable distance apart, Ceri spoke again.

"So, tell me everything."

"Everything?" Jana asked, a little confused.

"About you. How are you, carriad?"

Jana laughed quietly. "Where do I start. I'm happy, I think..."

"You think?"

"It's complicated. The pack in Newcastle, I swear trouble follows us wherever we go. I feel like I'm spinning plates trying to make sure they're all safe and happy."

"Jana, you may be their alpha, but they're not cubs. Have they been in trouble since you left?" Ceri asked.

"Well, no..."

"Exactly. And as for their happiness... you can't make happen on your own."

"What do you mean?" Jana asked.

Ceri stopped walking and looked directly at Jana. Although they were a similar height, Jana felt like a child again as she remembered how Ceri guided her many years ago. "Your happiness and other's happiness are two different things. They may be linked, one may depend on the other, but they are not the same. Do what makes you happy for once. Find your purpose."

"Haven't I already found it?"

Ceri glanced over to Maddy and Rhydian. The couple were close together, in deep conversation, both with a huge smile on their faces.

"Why did you choose to return to Stoneybridge?" Ceri asked Jana

"Because you were ill," Jana replied as if the answer was obvious.

Ceri smiled. "Is there, perhaps, another reason? Something more personal? The whole time you've been here I haven't once heard you talk about what you want. Where do you want to be right now?" Ceri asked.

Jana sighed deeply, finally giving in. "I don't know, Ceri." she said wearily, "You remember how excited I was to move to Newcastle. Even after the secret came out, after I left Segolia, I still felt my purpose was in the city, somewhere. But, since Maddy and Rhydian returned I can't help thinking I'm not meant to be there anymore. Matei, TJ, Selina... everyone's going to be moving on soon, maybe I should too."

Ceri thought for a moment before replying. "Your purpose is not a job, location, or even being an alpha. Sometimes it can just be a feeling. Perhaps your new purpose, after everything you've been through, is just to find peace. Whether that's in the city or Stoneybridge is up to you."