Dharmadhyaksha

''Sri Krishna was as much a master of political science as he was righteous. He would never draw back from altering a traditional method or rule if it was defective, harmful or unsuitable to the needs of the time. He was the principal revolutionist of the age. 

King Bhurisravas gave voice to the angry feeling of many contemporary Indians of the old school when he said while taking Sri Krishna to task, "Krishna or the Yadava clan which acts under his guidance never shrinks from acting against the right law or distorting it. Whoever acts on Krishna's advice will surely fall into sin before long."

येषु येषु नरः पार्थ यत्र यत्र च वर्तते ।आशु तच्छीलतामेति तदिदं त्वयि दृश्यते ॥कथं हि राजवंश्यस्त्वं कौरवेयो विशेषतः ।क्षत्रधर्मादपक्रान्तः सुवृत्तश्चरितव्रतः ॥इदन्तु यदतिक्षुद्रं वार्ष्णेयार्थे कृतं त्वया ।वासुदेवमतं नूनं नैतत्त्वय्युपपद्यते ॥को हि नाम प्रमत्ताय परेण सह युध्यते ।ईदृशं व्यसनं दद्याद्यो न कृष्णसखो भवेत् ॥व्रात्याः संश्लिष्टकर्माणः प्रकृत्यैव च गर्हिताः ।

वृष्ण्यन्धकाः कथं पार्थ प्रमाणं भवता कृताः ॥

For, in the view of a conservative with his attachment to the old ways a novel venture is in itself a sin. Sri Krishna realised on Yudhishthira's downfall — not realised but knew from the beginning, for he was God — that a custom suited to the Dwapara epoch should never be preserved in the Kali age. Therefore, he made no further attempts on those lines; he followed the line of statecraft proper to Kali, with its emphasis on war and strife and directed his efforts towards making the future of empire free of obstacles by destroying the power of the insolent and proud Kshatriya race. 

He incited the Panchala people, ancient and equally powerful rivals of the Kurus, to destroy the latter; all the other peoples who could be attracted out of hatred towards the Kurus, for the love of Yudhishthira or out of desire for unity and the rule of law were attracted to that side, and he got the preliminaries of war made ready. In the attempts that were made towards peace Sri Krishna had no faith. He knew that peace was not possible, even if it were made it could not last. Still, out of regard for the right law and from considerations of policy, he devoted himself to attempts at peace. There is no doubt that the Kurukshetra war was the result of Sri Krishna's policy, and that to destroy the Kurus, to destroy the power of the Kshatriyas, to establish an undisputed imperial authority and the unity of India were his objectives.'' 

Sri Aurobindo