Puppy Love

My legs don't pump fast enough

Chasing at night

Ensnared by your weeds

Planted by the seeds

Of indifference

Did you really think

You could pretend forever?

Recklessly launching

As you're chased down

Choking on your frown

Bittersweet symphony to my ears

We met at universe's end

Thought you were escaping

But I was there waiting

Trying to flee

It causes me glee

To see you waste your time

Running into the grime

I'll be waiting

Never leaving

Never free

See?

I'm you

Boo

--The song Running, lyrics by Orion Bauwens

I don't see Orion for a week. He's not in gym class, and he's not at lunch. Not seeing him at lunch is one thing; I came to find out that during my lunch he has a study hall, which means you can get passes to go to the library, a classroom, or the computer center (or in his case, a pass to ditch). But gym class? That's a class. You can't just ditch class for a week without severe consequences.

When I do finally see him he's on my front porch. It's after school, late, the sun having gone to sleep hours ago. I'm very confused.

"Orion, what--"

He sucker punches me. I shout. Before I can do anything else he pulls me outside, shuts the door behind us, and drags me down the steps. He doesn't stop until we're in the patch of grass on the other side of the sidewalk by the street. Then he roughly shoves me away from him, balling his hands into fists.

"What the fuck was that for, Orion?"

"What the fuck was that for?" he shouts back at me. "What the fuck was that for?! My girlfriend is dead barely a month and you kiss me? You--kiss me?!"

"I'm sorry," I tell him honestly as my cheek stings. He has a nasty left hook, that's for sure.

"Why?" he rants at me. "Didja think it'd be funny?! Didja just wanna see me squirm?"

I'm shocked. "Orion, I would never--"

"Didja think it'd be fun to toy with my emotions?! Like I'm not going through enough fucking shit already?!"

"No!"

Orion rushes over and grabs me by the collar, shaking me. "Then why did you kiss me?!"

"Because I have a crush on you!"

Orion immediately lets go of me and reels back, looking stunned. For a second we just stare at each other. Then he purses his lips, grabs me by arm again, and drags me into the back yard. When we get by the huge oak tree, I yank myself free and glare. He leans against the tree, taking out his cigarettes, and lights one.